Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: anyone playing a chromatic button accordion on here?

Going back a couple decades, If I were to start accordion over.. it would be the CBA. 5 row C system. 4 rows is good too and lighter but the fifth row duplicate makes for fewer patterns to do all the scales.

Back to the Reyes Form Discussion

There is a guy there named Russ who posts once in a while.. he has gone over to the CBA full time.

Go to you tube and watch Richard Galliano. Plays in any style.. Gypsy jazz, Jazz , Classical, tango

I believe he plays a VICTORIA with the grille removed. One of the best players around..

He does some playing with Gyspy Jazz great Birelli LaGrene

My opinion as have only dabbled with both PA and CBA.. the CBA can do anything the PA can do, and do it better.

The only advantage I can see for the PA is if you already play the piano/keyboard.

I play a 5 row C system Borsini. Switched from PA and so glad I did. Another really great thing about the CBA is the right hand finger pattern does not change when you switch keys. Key of B? Bring it on!

How long did it take to make the switch, i.e. get up to speed on the new system? How long have you been playing PA?

Here's some Chromatic Button Accordion info...
Scroll down to find....

almost advise learning piano

dwight

i have tried it

in another band besides Zydeco T

idea was to have more flexibility of keys, etc
which the chromatic does have

PROs:
universal, logical fingering for all keys [at least with 5 row]
(ALL instruments should work like this)

CONs:
if you learn it, you STILL cannot play the piano, which is ubiquitous - you HAVE to have your own unique, heavy, expensive, instrument everywhere you play

REMARKS:
since it is WAY different from cajun accordion, i didn;t learn it very well, i didn;t give it a fair chance, but i could see it was taking longer than i wanted

C system is most prevalent everywhere except eastern europe
though that doesn;t matter here, you won;t find C systems just hanging around either

if you got something like a roland v-accordion, you can switch it from B to C system, as well as many other (including custom) note arrangements
BUT (annoying) - still no one makes a single accordion that could do both
you can customize the v-accordions, but not to have in and out play different notes @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#

i would almost advise learning piano, but using an electronic piano that can key-transpose easily

or accordion, computer piano accordion

just so, when you don;t have your accordion, you can at least play SOMETHING on a piano, which will always be nearby

(though by that logic you would just learn guitar which is also chromatic, 100x more portable and 1000x more prevalant than even piano)

i wish i could play piano

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!