Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: anyone playing a chromatic button accordion on here?

Here's some Chromatic Button Accordion info...
Scroll down to find....

almost advise learning piano

dwight

i have tried it

in another band besides Zydeco T

idea was to have more flexibility of keys, etc
which the chromatic does have

PROs:
universal, logical fingering for all keys [at least with 5 row]
(ALL instruments should work like this)

CONs:
if you learn it, you STILL cannot play the piano, which is ubiquitous - you HAVE to have your own unique, heavy, expensive, instrument everywhere you play

REMARKS:
since it is WAY different from cajun accordion, i didn;t learn it very well, i didn;t give it a fair chance, but i could see it was taking longer than i wanted

C system is most prevalent everywhere except eastern europe
though that doesn;t matter here, you won;t find C systems just hanging around either

if you got something like a roland v-accordion, you can switch it from B to C system, as well as many other (including custom) note arrangements
BUT (annoying) - still no one makes a single accordion that could do both
you can customize the v-accordions, but not to have in and out play different notes @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#

i would almost advise learning piano, but using an electronic piano that can key-transpose easily

or accordion, computer piano accordion

just so, when you don;t have your accordion, you can at least play SOMETHING on a piano, which will always be nearby

(though by that logic you would just learn guitar which is also chromatic, 100x more portable and 1000x more prevalant than even piano)

i wish i could play piano

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!