Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early Cajun Music: "Mon Camon La Case Que Je Suis Cordane" - Douglas Bellard

Ask anyone who the first African Creole musician to record creole french music in Louisiana and you'll most likely get the answer of Amede Ardoin. However, it would be his friend Douglas Bellard who actually recorded before him. One of Bellard's tunes, "Mon Camon La Case Que Je Suis Cordane", would become one of the most widely covered songs in the Cajun music repertoire: "Les Flammes d'Enfer".

Read: http://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.com/2014/10/mon-camon-la-case-que-je-suis-cordane.html

WF

Re: Early Cajun Music: "Mon Camon La Case Que Je Suis Cordane" - Douglas Bellard

"Mon camon la case que je suis cordane". What is this curious title in Creole French ? But when I listen to the song, I understand "Mon connais la cause que je suis c-o-n-d-a-m-n-é " (I know the cause that I am condemned).

Marc.

Re: Early Cajun Music: "Mon Camon La Case Que Je Suis Cordane" - Douglas Bellard

My cannon (gun) the cause that I am condemned.

Cannon used to mean a firearm or pistol too, not just a gun on wheels or artillery, at least in English.

He asks "Qui c'est la cause?" (what is the cause?) then he answers "C'est mon canon la cause."

Yes Neal, very intersting !! The cause is maybe his cannon gun !!

Marc.

Nice, Neal, I didn't catch that. If anyone has JP Bruneau's cd "Les Haricots Sont Pas Salé", (one of my favorites), after the song "La Porte De la Prison", Bee Fontenot explains a little about Douglas killing a guy he caught stealing chickens.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!