Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What a fancy, schooled guy might call a "cross relation"

Quick question --

I have been relaxing around home with my wife playing through various tunes -- and we started messin' around with "French Blues" (the Abshire tune).

It is easy for her because it is two chords -- in our case G and D (I am playing a C box)

Here is what I would like to hear discussed -- without a doubt, both the guitar chords are major chords.... I and V

BUT... as most of you know, Nathan has some DELICIOUS F-naturals right there where the D-maj chord is played. So we have an F# in the guitar and a F-natual in the accordion..

Now.... no one ever plays a D-minor chord at that point, correct??? Just making sure

Re: What a fancy, schooled guy might call a "cross relation"

In the B part?

Well, here's my 2 cents.

No .. The guitar would not play a minor chord.

An F-Natural in the key of G would be the flatted seventh which is
one of the "blue notes" .. Just as a flatted third (or sometimes 5th)
would be used in a blues solo.

--biggy

What's the difference in a flatted 7th and a 6th?

Ned, In the key of C:

a flattened 7th would be a Bb, and a "normal" 7th a B (oft called major 7th).
To mess things up: only in Germany they do it different: a B = H, and a Bb = B.
Probably B is where the honey is located in Germany if Bayer did not yet kill all the Beezzzz there already ...

In C a 6th is an A.
Nout

But for the B's bees, and Bayer, your basis would be about one semitone? Then the 7th is cleft to be flat.

Ned: An old and very Irish Fiddling compadre of especially Peer too said this once when asked to play in B flat: "You just give me the key, and I'll play in anybodies flat" - Nout

The difference between a flatted 7th and a 6th is one half step. In the key of G, the natural 7th is F#, the flat 7th is F and the 6th is E.

Who dat...who dere? Having a hard time understanding you.....try your high frequency.....yore breaking up.

If you can hear me, yeah, dat guitar can make or break da song. Most guitar players down here just play what dey hear or what dey see. As long as da song sounds as good as the original or better but doesnt get too salty...its a good gumbo. Da guitar should blend with or enhance da sound coming from dat accordion. Da guitar is not a lead instrument in Cajun music, nor should it ever be. You done want to be ripping face melting riffs and whammy bars anh all dat mass.

Dissonance is cool it's what makes the melody in this song's case, as Messieur Duhon pointed out. Keep the guitar on that D. You change it to d minor or whatever it's gonna sound cheesy. Glad you can spend that time with your wife! Keep pullin.
-C

Oh yeah, I wasn't going to change it from D-major.... you are right on the money there -- these are critical little shades of dissonance that flavor these "blues" songs (a la French Blues.... Pine Grove.... etc...)

On this note though, where would you play the left-hand, bass parts in "French Blues" -- that is, if you would play them at all... Not sure why, but those C's and G's in the bass don't seem to work all that well (yet they do work in "Pine Grove" it seems)

Mais dats easy.....when to play da base lick on dat guitar??? Ask Christine Balfa, she has a good handle on dat kinda playin. If you dont know her or don't live by her house, den you can listen to music or watch da videos wit her in dem. Her Uncle was one of da bess guitar men for Cajun music and carryin a base lick on regular guitar.

On a mow serious note...You ever been playing along wit a guitar player Mr. Paul, and dey hit the wrong chord and it makes you on the accordion switch to a different song right in the middle of the original song? Dat right dere is some messed up $*#@. My accordion mentor was an old man dat would straight up tell you dat he wouldnt play wit you if you dint know what you were doing on dat guitar. He was out right obnoxcious about it too! Rest him soul.

Awwwww mais wuts his name?! Rodney Balfa of the Balfa Brutters. You know, Dewey, Will, all dem boys. You can listen to them music if you want, but I don tink dey got Rodney too much on da video in da ole days playing dat guitar. But dey got him recorded dats four shore! Or jus go talk to Christine. She is a fine strapping lil gal. Even if she don show you nutting, you will get to see her up close. If yo wife lets you dat is.

Her image graces our very blog! (see above LEFT)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!