Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crazy Hohner Accordeon on Ebay. Never seen anything like it

I've seen a few of these decorated models come up on ebay over the past few years. Nothing overly special about them, and certainly not worth more than 250-300 even in that good of shape...that model was super prone to faceplate cracks around the chamber holes and I'm pretty sure I can see one on the bottom end near the fingerboard and the reedblocks usually come unglued. Something interesting to note is that the Grand Prix was actually about two inches taller than most anything else out there at the time.

More often than not they're configured with two sets of mid reeds and two sets of high reeds, so (usually) no bassoon reed row...but some are out there that have the LMMH config. It was made before WWII and does have blue steel reeds in it, but they're not as responsive as the ones you'd pull out of a Monarch/Sterling/Eagle Brand/Globe/International.

All in all they can still have a great sound with a good bit of reed and maintenance to get it airtight.

John

I agree, it doesn't look like it's worth over a few hundred. I believe you're also correct about the old Hohner reeds vs. the reeds with the 'O' stamp, in the big three, of the day.

My 1920's three stop Hohner, in the key of the highest 'A' possible, guzzled far more gas than my four stop Globe in standard 'D', even with mostly the same kind of refurbishing Elton and I did. Reinforcing the reed blocks with wood glue is a must, with all those pine reed blocks. The gaps between and beneath each reed chamber beg to filled! Easy job, carefully applying the glue with a tooth pick.

It was disappointing when my '20's Hohner broke about three reeds. Unfortunately, finding mid and low bank reeds in high A, is impossible, without finding another of similar design, in that key.

Description incorrect.. BNOT a "Cajun" accordion.

Not the prototype for the HA114.. there were Hohner 1 row 4 stoppers before this.

Seller is not a box person and hopes to make a home run.

It would be hoped the "master technician" did not booger up the box.

I'd be interested if it was an LMMH and original internally and a good player.

It would make a good busking box drawing a lot of attention.

I would pay $400 max if in good order.

Jim is your Hohner A long reed plates or individual ?

I have a similar 1926 3-stop box, with no bass reeds.

Bohemian- It has individual reeds. Missing 3 plates (technically 6 reeds... I'm constantly fighting the habit of labeling a reed plate a reed), on one mid bank. Got any? And it seems I cannot find the chord plate for the bass side...

Reason I thought the Ebay item was a prototype for the 114, was the time tested tacky floral designs

I have a full set of A reeds from an HA 112 dating to the fifties

It is of course mm.......

In Catalogue No. 700 (c.1930) it's listed as "Large size German type of Hohner model No. 724/10/4. Size 12 1/4 X 6 7/8 inches, 10 button keys with brass valves, 4 sets of steel reeds, octave tuning, metal stops, treble and bass parts decorated with gold leaf, Stradella corners, 12 fold bellows with 2 centre frames and leather fittings.

There were earlier 4 stops, but not with pokerwork decoration.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!