Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone have a G box for sale or trade?

Here's an interesting video posted by Bryan Lafleur of Cory McCauley on a G box playing 1st position with Jason Babineaux on a C box playing 2nd position G. This fascinated me the first time I saw it, and it continues to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5iC3EbuDqk&list=UUD7ISlHzScjrLxX6TkvuyhQ (cut'n paste)
or link #1.

Poo Yille, mais dats it! I'm gone buy me an Acadian wit some Hohner "G" reeds in it tuned to Iry Lejeune's almost wet tuning. I wonder if Marc would do dat four me? Have it as a side show accordion that I keep off to the side for dose special occasions when I wanna hurt somebody.

Thanks Ned but I can't get the Horace clip to work. Tell me the title of it and I'll do a search on youtube.
Y'all might be aware that on youtube theres also Ganey playing "born in the country" using a customized G hohner in G.

AJ, search for Horace Trahan's Eunice Two Step. It's really good, slow, groovy, and low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxecJWRgE7A (one mo' time)

Yeah you right!
Thats a great find Ned. I love the turn on it
lyrics anyone?
More to the point David would like one of these, as usual we've gone off on a tangent!

I like playing with a G box on a tuned down fiddle, an A box on a tuned up, or tuned up with both boxes! Its fun as all get out, because tuned down with the G or tuned up with A you get to play in that E position on the fiddle. Plus those high songs that were in C are now way easier to sing!! The accordion itself sounds awesome in these keys especially the bass side.
Its not that hard to accompany if you guys were still wondering, any guitar picker or fiddler worth his salt could definitely hang.

So Christine, you are a fiddler first accordion player second? Anh I wonder if an when I want to know tings about accordion vs fiddle or accordion wit fiddle, can you hep me? It sho wood be nice to have aaaaa an ehhh aaaa... wats dat word Im looking four? Contsultant?

Consultants Of Swing

.... sorry that was pretty dire

Ba-doom. Thank you, I'm here all week.

Anytime beg no. Usually have my email attached. I'd be glad to accommodate you.

Thanks Christian for the fiddle info.
Getting back to the Horace Trahan clip above I've noticed he is singing a simplified version and through familiarity I can almost pick out some of the phrases. Would a french speaking brave be able to transcribe it for me please?

Something like this. I love playing on a G accordion. I made one a while back with old Hohner G reeds and loved the sound of it.

Ehh, bye bye, Catin,
Ohh, mais, malheureuse,
Ehh, bye bye tite fille,
Quoi moi j'va faire moi tout seule.
Tu connais quand toi t'es pas la
tu connais je m'ennuie de toi
Tu m'as quitté pour t'en aller
Oh mon couer fait mal.

Thanks very much Bryan.
As it happens just last night I was trawling youtube for clips of Madame Sosthene and there you were with your handmade G accordion!
So you've helped me twice in the last 24hrs.

Vive les Braves!

I knew it! There is just something about those Hohner reeds. Even Mr Lafleur ,who should know, has pangs in him heart for dem tings.

Christing, tank you four offering yo hep and accomodation. I never been accomodated before. It sounds nice! No but really, is fiddle you first weapon, and how long you been using it?

Love the way Horace turns Eunice two step...great on G box

I really started liking Eunice more since I changed the way I play the turn. Great groove.
Kirk

I also would like a G...
Bobby Gardiner often played Hohners in "G"

Hohner 114 in G on eBay - $535 + $30 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hohner-Cajun-accordion-Model-114-Key-Of-G-Only-Very-Slightly-Used-/161465362239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259815e73f or link #1.

That Bobby Gardiner stuffs great. Its a certain thing that irish 1 row stuff, I've also just stumbled accross John J Kimmel- a German New yoyker who played Irish style 1 row early last century. Over here in old blighty there is a tradition of 1 row playing with an Irish influence in East anglia- the south east and in common with Cajun, a C box is favoured. They combine it with step dancing which is somewhere between clog and tap dancing on a stone pub floor or a wooden board. Its alien territory though when you're used to playing cajun and creole style, even though that stuff is something closer to home for me... oh lord if I ever get the time!

This'll warm your heart or make you laugh!

And of course there is Katie Howson... key of "C"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!