Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Missing: tips & licks

I'm leaving the SOM selection to the Czar.

Oh man... Okay then... I'll go with something I know then so I can get back to the Ossun..

John in Oregon

Ned - your post got me thinking. I will introduce a "Technique of the Month" in addition to the "Song of the Month".

Maybe it will work out - maybe not. It's worth a shot.

The idea will be to showcase a technique and get folks to demonstrate that technique. Just a phrase or two from a song to show how to make it fit and some advice on not abusing the technique maybe.

So many that I'd like help with... where to start. Must think on this.

John in Oregon

The "ring-finger bounce" and the many applications of it would make for a worthy subject.

I'm just a fledgling, but to me, this technique as possibly the most important button sequence on the box.

John A's mention of learning to use the middle fingers defines a major plateau in learning to play this instrument. I think of it as playing between the octaves. Working those middle fingers employs the ring-finger bounce in various ways.

You are spot on with that Ned. I've been thinking on that all day and the ring finger bounce keeps coming up for me. It is everywhere in the music and is an integral part of octaves.

Easy to do and easy to over do. Making it fit just right is the trick.

I do believe that will be the topic of the first monthly "Technique of the Month"

John in Oregon

GREAT POST
These are the areas that are so difficult to figure out. Videos would be so helpful to those of us teaching ourselves. Thanks for the great idea and continue to pursue it.

What is an area you are having difficulty with, Paul? I've been looking for a starting point for this theme.

John in Oregon

Here is a song I have been working on. I have the basic melody figured out, but can't seem to put the fill notes in place. If this song could be broken down into parts, it would be the piece of the puzzle that is missing. I've included a link. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2ITkdrCdg

Thanks Paul

Paul,

Check out Tracy Schwartz's version on Flat Town music. You can download the single for a buck.

I'm gonna take a crack at this one too. Maybe we can compare notes.

Nedro

OK, Paul, here's a video of my beginning efforts on this song. It's not suitable for prime time - it's just for concept and discussion.

http://youtu.be/WmYCLM3f95Y (link #1)

Any contributions, suggestions, or shared licks would be appreciated.

I missed this topics... great post Nedro, I am completely agree with you.
As I said in an other topic, cajun melodies are not very difficult to get. We can confess honestly than, like other traditional musics I study, the melodies are very simple (due to the diatonic scale and because, at the origin, this kind of music were just done to make people dancing on it more than to listen to).
BUT, like other traditional music, all is about rhythm, variations and ornements, so TIPS and LICKS, and that the point!
I personally agree with you Nedro and I try to build me a bank of licks and tips that I can use in my whole repertoire.
But, like everybody, I learn cajun music alone in my part of the world, isolated from other braves, and I have already reach my limits in this way of learning...
So you proposition is great and I would like also to see that kind of discussion in this forum.

Greg

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!