Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost Bayou Ramblers new sound, and a question about Andre's mic or effect pedal

There are probably many who may find Lost Bayou Ramblers new sound, a little over the top... but I gotta say, for me, it's a breath of fresh new air. Gritty. overdriven, and yet traditional at the same time. This kind of mixture retains traditional playing, but adds an element that reminds me of my youth interests, in music. I believe that members, who have come and gone, and stayed have a similar background in music, as I did.

Here's a couple questions... Andre makes his own handmade accordions to sound EXACTLY like old 20's-60's recordings of Cajun and Creole. Is it simply his microphone, or is he using some sort of effect pedal(s)? I can tell for a fact that the guitar player is using effects pedals.

Re: Lost Bayou Ramblers new sound, and a question about Andre's mic or effect pedal

Hi Jim, have just watched some footage of Lost Bayou Ramblers "wigging out" to Pine grove blues at Jazz Fest this year. Sounds to me me like he might be playing thru a Leslie speaker- the type used for hammond organ. If I'm off the mark its something I've always thought would sound pretty awesome anyway.

Re: Lost Bayou Ramblers new sound, and a question about Andre's mic or effect pedal

Hi Jim
I have to agree with you. The new sound of the Lost Bayou Ramblers is fantastic!
I'm no expert on electric sound but in these clips- link1 link2 link3- in JAMMININTHEVAN in New Orleans is quite clear that Andre is using pedals (about 3 or four) and changes the sound of the accordion quite a bit during the song . It's hard to know what pedals exactly he's using but clearly he's using an overdrive pedal. Louis is using overdrive too!
I haven't answered your question 100% but I'm happy to hear people commenting on the new sound of the LBR.
I hope someone with a better knowledge we'll be more precise. I'm intrigue too!
cheers

Hi Jim
Looking at the videos again and asking for advice about effects to some people i know, this is the guess:
-the two little pedals (blue and brown) look like the TC Electronic pedals: a delay and an overdrive. http://www.tcelectronic.com/guitar/pedals/
-A Jim Dunlop Wah wah (the big one)
-the white pedal is the Boss tuner pedal that I guess he uses for the lap steel. Unless he plays a tunable accordion!!

This is a guess from looking and listening. I could be wrong! I'm human after all.

cheerio

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!