Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Licks & Tricks: T'Robe Courte broken down

By the way, this is intended to represent the foundation of the song. There's a lot more melody to be added and opportunities to improvise various enhancements. This is just a fundamental breakdown for a beginning working point.

Good stuff, Nedro....When the student comes out of the water closet into the light and spaciousness of the garage, the teacher also emmerges! Whose version of this song did you use?

cb

Version? I started with one finger playing half and quarter notes. Actually lost part of the melody doing it that way.

Savoy and Dupuy have great versions, but too complex for my ability. Tracy Schwartz has a simple version, and Blake J. Miller plays a compromise. Complex stuff, this Cajun music!

Let's just call it Nedro's Little Short Dress! :-)

Great lesson Ned, looks like you've got a talent for it.
I'll be having a go at learning this one.
Now what the public wants is; "The Club Ned Special"!

Hmm....I seem to recall, you giving me a hard time, while quoting "simple music--played on simple instruments--by simple people". I hope you recall, so I can tell you..NOT!! ALWAYS!!

Ned!! That was great!! You broke it down great and threw in a couple of cool spices to the mix. I may have to leave work early and run home to work on this.

Thanks. That is a fun sounding little song.

John in Oregon

http://youtu.be/ug6XYSSNV3s

Here's a little spiffier melody.

Well done, my friend!

Thanks Nedro,
This is great. I was having a hard time figuring this out. I always ad lib to my liking, but this will add another part. I will start working on this today. Hopefully we can continue to pick apart songs that get tricky. I'm teaching myself and sometimes just cant figure these licks out. Thanks again for your help. Exactly what I was looking for.

Paul, you're quite welcome.

When you're teaching yourself, BY yourself, there are so many opportunities to do something wrong and think it's right. Then you groove it. I've done this a dozen times and had to go back to the beginning to fix it. Setbacks really hurt.

This sort of interaction is of benefit to both parties. I had never played the song before, and now I have 3 versions of it!

The bounce licks were new to me, and they happened by accident. This is one of the rewards of exploratory work.

Let's keep it going!

Where do you live? If close to Lafayette, La. I would like to get together and share accordion styles. By the way, what key accordion were you playing in the video?

I live in Texarkana, TX, and only get to Laffy for Balfa and Fest Acadien. That's an Acadian in C, dry tuned.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!