Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Licks and tricks request

Could anyone please offer up a slow breakdown of the B part on this?
Its got me flummocksed!

Re: Licks and tricks request

AJ, your Hohner done turned into a Sterling! Is that a new toy?

This is Jon Orr playing.

Ha ha Nedro- one can dream!, no like Bryan says its Jon Orr- no plagiarism intended!
"Donnez moi mon chapeau" Its the tune I'm trying to learn, the A part is easy enough but the B part escapes me, some kind of bouncing thing on the high end- I always end up using lower notes but really want to get this right cus its so effective and no doubt a useful lick in other tunes. Heres a Joe Hall version;

AJ, Joe Hall's version is about as straightforward as it gets. Jesse Lege' does it the same way with a bit of embellishment on his Glen Echo CD.

Here's Bryan'version that works the high chords in the B Part. If Bryan can do it, then there's hope for you and me. :-) (Link #1 if my embed doesn't work)

value="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazX5jcBFGQ&list=UUD7ISlHzScjrLxX6TkvuyhQ?version=3&hl=en_US"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"> src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazX5jcBFGQ&list=UUD7ISlHzScjrLxX6TkvuyhQ?version=3&hl=en_US"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315"
allowscriptaccess="always"
allowfullscreen="true">

Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this code?

Re: Sloooow and simple

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2GBtyyec0&list=UUc3SLJ0ZCDy0yzjERshZJug (link #1)

Thanks Ned, I checked out Bryan's version and that cleared it up for me-I was maybe reading too much into it, though I'm starting to notice more in these "simple licks" and thats where the improvements must be found!
Coincidently, after watching that clip Mr youtube suggested I watch steve Riley playing a Sterling accordion- Jolie Blonde with Doug Kershaw! Its a Wilson Savoy production.
Maybe when I open up my case tommorow I'll find the little hohner has indeed metamorphasized.
By Jove! dear Watson.

AJ, you might find The Way of Gruesomeness helpful [Link 1].

Just a few words on your request:
John Orr plays a "crooked" (i.e. irregular) version. There are more counts in both parts because he throws in some extra notes here and there. Nothing wrong with that, because this is Cajun music, but you may end up on the wrong beat when you try to learn this version. And that might of course drive you nuts.
Joe Hall plays an excellent version on the RVDC, which seems to me a better basis to learn this song. It's more straightforward indeed. It's harder to look on his fingers, but I'm convinced the best way to learn is to play what you hear and not what you see.

I don't know how long this option exists, but now you can slow down Youtube clips to half the speed (even a quarter, it says, but that doesn't work on my PC). Go to the little wheel on the lower left corner and adjust it from Normal to 0,5. Now you can break down any song yourself!
Good luck!

... it's the lower right corner.
And I realize it's not always easy to learn a song by ear without seeing what really happens. But then the slowing down on Youtube comes in very handy. The synchronzation is OK, so you can see by the flappers what's going on.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!