Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It' a C accordion, fo sho.

I am not 100% certain, but I believe in live performances, Sam keeps his guitar tuned in open F and capos the second fret when they are on the C accordion. Also, the song is done on a C accordion in the key of the key of G. When it switches to the second song, it goes to C, then the last song goes back to G.

Thanks Ganey.

I was uncertain about the guitar.
Does Sam plays often in other tunings because he's a slide-guitarist ?
Or are there other reasons why he 's doing that?

Correct! Sam's primary role is to emulate the steel guitar with his slide, but he also plays some stuff in standard tuning. At one time, he had a Telecaster that was fitted with a special device that would re-tune the guitar with the flip of a couple of levers. I don't know if he still uses that guitar.

John,

if you're trying to emulate Steve Riley's playing, that's OK, but it's going to be an uphill battle for you, especially since you're on your own, so far away from the Louisiana music scene and any other musicians with similar feelings about the music.

You may already play guitar for all I know, or you may already be a master musician, but if you don't, and if your not, then you have to really dedicate yourself to learning the basics of music theory: Keys, Notes, Rhythms, Tempos, Chords, Changes, on and on. And then throw about 50% of it out the window because of the oddities of Cajun Music

It's really difficult to learn the basics of music on a bizarre, difficult instrument like the 10 button diatonic accordion. That's why I suggested the guitar. You can listen to a video or a CD, pick up your guitar, find the proper Key, find the changes, get a feel for the tempo and pulse. Then pick up the accordion after you can hum, whistle, or mutter the melody.

I gave up on trying to copy the pro's who have been playing since they were 4 years old, and just try to make sure I play in time with the right rhythm, the right pulse, and occasionally the right notes.

I firmly believe there are two types of Cajun accordion styles:

Front Porch Style where you mainly want to satisfy yourself by adding as many embellishments as you possibly can. This is what I play at home.

And;

Dance Hall Style where you keep the embellishments to a minimum but provide the dancers with a driving rhythm and a pulse they can relate to with their feet.
This is what Bill Rosenthal, the accordion player in my band, does.

There are very few who can do both, and most of them are in demand and on tour, like Steve.

Yep. Well said, on all points.

Re: Ardoin Medley - need lyrics

Hi JB,

I strive to play as well as I can and set the bar high. Naturally that causes all manner of frustrations but that's okay.

I finally sorted out the A-part for Ardoin Medley tonight and it is on a C-accordion and it's really not all that hard.

I've got the Midland 2-step down, so it's off to the 3rd part.

Does anyone have lyrics for this??

John in Oregon

Fais Pas Tout Ca,
Midland Two Step,
Quoi Faire.

Marc to the rescue?

ARDOIN MEDLEY

(Fais pas tout ça)
Oh, fais pas tout ça,
Fais pas tout ça,
Viens me chercher.
Viens me chercher,
Fais ton idée,
Fais pas tout ça.

(no lyrics for Midland two-step)

(Quo faire ?)
Quo faire, quo faire bébé ?
Quo faire, quo faire, chère catin ?
Ta maman m'a dit que t'es trop jeune,
Mais toi t'es tout le temps là à la maison.
Quo faire, quo faire, bébé ?
Quo faire, quo faire, chère catin ?

Marc.

Hurray for Marc!! King of Lyrics!!

Thank you, Marc.

John in Oregon

Easy John, lyrics was on the notebook, but I verified the song !!!

Marc.

Re: Ardoin Medley - need lyrics AHA!

This is possibly the first time I've ever found lyrics that Marc didn't have.

LE MIDLAND TWO STEP

O, toi, catin, op tous mes parents
o, mon je connais ça vesut pas me voir c'ez toi

O, toi, 'tite fille, comment ça se fait avec toi
Tu me fais tant de la misere sans jamais je t'ai rien fait.

O, je m'en vas en quelque part, ouais, pour mon je ti voir
Ouais, pour mon je te voir mais
Tes parents veulent pas que mon je te vois.

O, y yaie, toi, catin, ça pesut passer
Tu sais que ma marraine connais que mon j'ai pas cinq sous.

O, mon je m'en vas, o, j'ai pas d'argent
O, mon papa et ma amamn m'en a pas donne'

No Nedro, it's just the version by Steve Riley (CD "Dominos") without lyrics for "Midland". Many differents lyrics in other versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16gkOVw02uA

Marc.

Dammit! I thought I had you, Marc!

(Actually I was surprised that you didn't provide lyrics.)

Marc est le vrai Roi de Lyric.
Gagner du Marc est impossible.

Merci Ron

Marc.

In french, it's easier for me :
Voici mon secret Ron. J'ai plus de 1 000 CDS, cassettes et vinyls dans ma collection de musique cajun et zydeco (14 000 chansons, mais souvent les mêmes). Ca fait que j'écoute souvent cette musique que je connais très bien depuis bientôt 30 ans. Le français est ma langue maternelle, c'est facile pour moi de transcrire les lyrics.
Mais je ne suis pas tout seul pour les "french lyrics", mes amis Christian et Bryan, et d'autres, sont aussi très bons. Et surtout, c'est mon plaisir si je peux aider à préserver le "cajun french" et sa musique.

Good translation !!

Marc.

Here's my secret.
I have more than 1000 cd's, cassettes and LP's in my Cajun and Zydeco collection (14000 songs and much are the same) I listen very often to this music which I know since I'm 30 years old. French is my native language, so it's easy to write down the song lyrics. But I 'm not the only one for the French lyrics because my friends Bryan and Christian and others also do a good job with that. And for all, it's a pleasure for me to help keeping Cajun language and music alive.

We are all very happy with your help.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!