Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
December Song of the Month?

Did I miss it?

Re: December Song of the Month?

I am waiting for too, do you have any suggestion Jamey?

If not, what about "Allons à Lafayette"? Not many single accordion versions on the net for this one...

What about a Push Blues, very rare for cajun accordion players? Do you Know "Tu peux cogner mais tu peux pas danser"? The only accordion version I saw is from Eric Martin from France (link#2)

If the SOTM should be a waltz, what about drunkard waltz (valse du bambocheur)? The only accordion versions I heard are from Austin Pitre, Belton Richard and... Meloderon

Regards,
Greg

Also Horace Trahan did an awesome version with only accordion at the end.

Thanks meloderon, I'll listen to Horace trahan version.

Furthermore I just realized drunkard blues is related to madame Sosthène or Sostan, so there are other accordion samples to heard now.

@Jamey, ooops, I made a mistake with the blues title, thanks! I don't have any blues in my repertoire because all cajun blues sound fiddle tune to me, and tu peux cogner mais tu peux pas rentrer too, you're right!
I don't have allons à lafayette in my repertoire yet too, so could be an good idea if everybody is ok...
Or else any other proposition guys?

Greg

How about a Christmas tune?
I've been learning Rudolf

Madame Sosthene and Drunkards Blues related? Hmm, not to my ears.

Hi Bryan,
I made a mistake (again…), I am sorry.
You’re right, both tunes are completely different because drunkard blues is a blues (6/8?) and madame sosthene a waltz (9/8)…
I mean drunkard WALTZ instead BLUES…
I still have some difficulties to heard differences between Madame Sosthene and Drunkard WALTZ, in particularly when it is the accordion which plays the melody, don’t you? I’ll listen again to both tunes and try to pay attention and get the thing.
Best regards,
Greg

Prolly ought to be a waltz, since we've been doing 2-steps. Or a bluesy tune like you're suggesting. I thought it was ""Tu peux cogner mais tu peux pas RENTRER" . . . There are some great versions of that around. I thought it was mostly a fiddle tune, but here's a version with Brother Jesse supplying his usual awesomeness. And you just know that Chris Miller could tear it up!

And "Allons a Lafayette" would be great, too, since I need to learn that one as well.

Sorry folks. I've been busy putting a datacenter together the last few weeks and was kind of wondering if anyone would notice.

Stay tuned!!

John in Oregon

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!