Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun Accordion key

How exciting!

Two considerations: other musicians you might like to (eventually) play with, and your own singing voice (if you now or someday might like to sing with your playing).

For other instruments in the Cajun genre, C or a D is a good choice. Fiddlers like the keys of D, A and G, which are the keys you would play on a D accordion. But Cajun fiddlers often tune their instruments down a whole step so they can play in C, G and F, the keys you would play on a C accordion. Guitarists can do it all.

Most men, in my experience, find that Cajun songs on the C accordion work best for singing.

C is the most common first Cajun accordion choice, and it is what people expect you to play at jams.

If your Corona is in GCF

Play the C row.

About time someone took full advantage of a three row to paly some Cajun tunes.

I know of two pro players who use C/F Hohners to play Cajun music.

Bout time to break the rules.

If you're going to be learning off of instructional dvd's, I think you should go with a C. All instructional's I know of use a C accordion, and most recordings.

To paraphrase M Savoy..

Get an accordion in C.. if in doubt, get an accordion in C.

I have an accordion in C.. just in case..
but 90% of the time I play on a D box.

Savoy and I agree on one thing (seems to be the only thing)
I much prefer a box in Bb or Eb.

I also like A boxes.

In preference, I'd rather a D. But for someone learning Cajun music, especially off of dvd's, and if the potential is there to go to jams and instructional camps, you need a C. Once you get good at taking a tune and converting it from your ears to your fingers, it doesn't matter what key except for what you sing in, if you sing, or who you will play with, if you will play with someone els.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!