Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weltmeister Cajun Accordion

I had one and it was pretty tight. Air control was not an issue.

In the early learning stages, it is necessary to play slowly, and this requires more air. As you play faster, less air is consumed.

You might want to check for leaks. Although the box is new, there could be a defect.

You could check to see if your left palm is resting too heavy on the air fill/release button on the back of the bass/chord side of the accordion. It will let out a lot of air that you don’t want it to do. The air button is an important part of playing and it will take time.

Yeah That was one of the first things I checked. I've played accordion for a few years and this is the first time I've ever tried cajun music on a cajun box. The thing I don't understand is, when I watch Big Nick or anybody else play, they always seem to have plenty of bellows space. A lot of times they don't even open it all the way up. And that's playing with both hands. But when I try, I feel like theres too much air being released through the reeds. My other boxes don't have this problem.

There may be a problem with the box itself. Welties have removable reed blocks. I wonder if one of them has come loose, which would cause a big air loss while playing.

One simple thing to rule out, does it leak air if you push with no buttons pressed?

Nope it doesn't. And it seems to play fine otherwise. All notes sound and everything.

The Weltmeister is not a Cajun accordion.

It is a 10 button bisonoric, diatonic, bellows driven aerophone.

Only Cajuns make :Cajun" accordeons.

I These have been sold under other brands. I owned one.

They are typically air tight.

Technique or defect.

Joey you said it all buy a friggin La Cajun made box if you want to play Cajun music. Martin would come to mind

Agreed,, and buy an Eric Martin made in France. At least it has mitered corners and very, very high quality workmanship.

Here we go again...

The old bisonoric aeroplane mitered corner trap!

Good luck with the Welty Corbin- a good first box.

Corbin Hudson
bought a weltmeister and if they could tell me if the bellows run out of air so quickly on all of them. When I'm playing a song there doesn't seem to be much air space in the bellows and they run out more quickly than I think they should.

hi all.. this sounds familiar

I had asked this question way back there somewhere..

Answer was.. LEARN TO USE THE AIR BUTTON..

and it did take a while.. And no one to really show me ..

But I did get it and now I KNOW HOW TO USE THE AIR BUTTON.

One of the most important things or you will never get to play it ''Properly''

Good luck .. It takes time..

Johnnie

It's frustrating that proper use of the air button never seems to be taught in any of the available materials (Dirk Powell, Big Nick). It's always "if you think you're going to run out of air, just use the air button."

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!