Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Song of Last Month - Les Flammes d'Enfer

Good job Ned- looks like you're boxed in!

Sounds gone on my camera so it looks like I'm out of the picture for SOTM for a while, probably that drum machine that did for it!

Is this tune basically the same as Petite Ou la Gros?
Spent some time on that one with the key change.

AJ, those boxes contain my wife's collection of Christmas decorations, the volume of which prevents our cars being parked in the garage.

Les Flammes d'Enfer is the lament of a doomed sinner. Petite Ou La Grosse is a commentary on the one-price-fits-all policy of Madame Edouard's brothel. One might conclude that the chief characters are smililarly hell-bound, thus common theme as well as melody.

Modulating these songs to the 3rd position requires more skill than I can summon. Poorly executed modulation should be cause for the perfomer's irreconcilable ****ation. (Same goes for triplets.)

Ned, I especially appreciate the transition you make from the repeated phrase throughout the song into the following different phrases. I find a hesitancy when I play it and my rhythm isn’t there in the A part. Yours is relaxed. The deeper sound is interesting too. I’ve been looking at as many youtube videos that I can find on Les Flammes and see there are many different ways to play it. One I particularly like is by Andrew Carriere accompanied by a violin and guitar. This was a good choice for SOTM.

Don, if you're having trouble making a clean transition out of the repeated phrase, you might try this: Instead of ending the repeated phrase with the double G (5 key or 5-8 octave), substitute an 8-5 bounce. I find that the 8-5 bounce sequence can sometimes give a smoother flow than the wood-pecker ending, making the next button(s) easier to grab.

Thanks Ned for keeping me informed and entertained.

Also worth looking is a version from Ervin Frey and Braylin Daigle at the Liberty theater in Eunice.
The guys are very good

See Link#2

Well done Ned. I'm finally getting hot on this song. It's been just a stupid busy month for me, so I've not had a chance to work on it much.

The next song of the month will get posted here in a day or two.

John in Oregon

Ned, first thing I don't believe its a good idea to keep your wife in a Home Depot box. Possibly you have stepped outside the local guidelines in this regard. For me I find that constant repetitive refrain annoying. Thank you all those who have alternative versions. Nonetheless a noble effort as always.

Guy, my myopic friend, one must think outside the box. If I let her out would she be happy, or would she whip my arse? I fear the latter, thus she remains contained, listening to hours of music on her favorite instrument. What greater love?

Guy,

An interesting statement from one who chided me for my "Calipso Version" of the Midland Two-Step.

All music is a personal interpretation. There is no "The Way" to play music. That is the realm of recordings.

John in Oregon

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!