Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Players Choice - Church Point Breakdown - another redux

Well, rather than having properly worked on last months song "Les Flammes d'enfer, I spent a lot of time with the Church Point Breakdown. Man.. fun song to play.

Here's my redux...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoGE2eJMN0

John in Oregon

Re: Players Choice - Church Point Breakdown - another redux

John, nice job. I went back and compared to your September redux (which wasn't bad at all), and the improvements become apparent. Now there should be nothing blocking your entry into Les Flammes d'Enfer.

Re: Players Choice - Church Point Breakdown - another redux

Man... for whatever reason, Les Flammed d'Enfer is just fightin' me. Thought I listened closely to the version by the Lawtell Playboys and that one is clicking sort of.

I'll try to post another redux tonight. How about you? Whatcha got that you really like?

John in Oregon

Players Choice - Midland Two-Step redux

I had really liked the version of the Midland Two-Step that Courtboullion did - and rather than doing my homework and nailing down "Les Flammes d'Enfer", I worked on this.

Oh ma femme pauvre, she's heard this a lot lately but she's good to me and doesn't whang me on the head with a skillet.

I'd welcome some advice on the arrangement of this to get more "punch" to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obr7qNVxoVc

John in Oregon

Re: Players Choice - Midland Two-Step redux

Dueling versions. Toups' Midland Two Step is as unique as it is masterful. I've tried to dissect it and can't seem to decode it. Your rhythm is confusing, and I suspect that you are trying to mimic Wayne, and that's way too difficult.

Simpler is many times, an improvement. I like your 11/9/14 redux better.

Well.. I was trying to mix what Wayne was doing with a more traditional version. Guess it didn't work out too well.

I didn't find that Waynes version was actually all that difficult to sort out once I focused on it, but getting all smoothed out is a bit of work. It's all in the little details. Man.. he can sure play.

Hmm.. guess that just means that I need to work on it more!!

BTW Ned.. thanks for the honest feedback.

John in Oregon

John, Sure, we all want to encourage our colleagues, but enevitably comes a moment of truth. *****footing around something that deserves more attention is a disservice to the presenter. If you're posting here, you are, like me, seeking counsel. Praise is always welcome when due.

Improvement begs for guidance, and you won't be a better player from smoke blown up your a**.

I've had constructive criticism on the forum that has driven me to recognize and overcome some nagging deficiencies. Critique is a service most good teachers charge a fair price for. Here, we can get it for free! Aiiee! Talk dirty to me!

I liked it

Having technical difficulties so unable to post new videos at present but here is some footage of my band last December, I'll make the second tune "Hip et Taiau" my player's SOTM.

You sound good AJ. It would help your band however if the rythmic section was tighter...!

Thanks, we'll get there I hope.

John, I thought this version was good! Curious about Nedro's comparison to your last version, I found the earlier version and compared. You've mostly ironed out the B part issues in this new version. In the November version, you consistently cut the B part short (at least according to the Midland I know). This version, you mostly play the B part at its full length. Nice work!

Thank Maureen, but I have to agree with Ned after listening. I don't think that the B-part that Wayne does doesn't mix too well with the more traditional B-part. It has a different, more upbeat feel especially after a couple rounds around with the more traditional B-part.

Not sure how to describe it since my knowledge if music theory is essentially zero.

I really need to work on Les Flammes d'Enfer, but I'm just really liking playing around with the Midland.

John in Oregon

Walker Special

My players choice is Walker Special, recorded by Lawrence Walker, an innovator and one of my favorites. Recorded on L'anse Grise #27, which i just finished and am shipping off to it's new home in England today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8hE3kbRc0

Re: Walker Special

Excellent work Bryan- on both counts. "l'anse Grise" must be becoming a household name this side of the pond by now!
Thats helpful cus Walker special is one I'm working at the moment too- along with Kaplan waltz and Iota 2 step after Wade put it up. Will have to get a new camera so I can carry on videoing. Bubba's Walker Special on youtube is well worth a look/listen.

Good work Bryan. With a hint of the Ramblers, which I like. Are you sure thats #27? as I've seen that shirt of yours years before.

It is 27. A shirt has to get pretty well ventilated to be relegated to the finishing pile. I have some t shirts over 20 years old.

Good catch on the Ramblers. Walker Special is usually played in 2 parts, and Andre Michot plays his B part different than any I'd heard, and I like it, so I made it a 3rd part.

Very nice Bryan. #27 sounds great as they all do.

I've liked the Walker Special from the first time I heard it.

John in Oregon

I love this and have never learned to play it. Thank you for the inspiration, Bryan. You play it beautifully.

Great comments, Nedro! You had me at "talk dirty to me"; I laughed out loud

Come on, oh jump suited one. Where is your contribution???

John in Oregon

Players Choice - Polka a ma vielle tante

Octa Clark did this song on the "Old Time Cajun Music". I sorted it out some time ago and have worked on it a lot. My Great-Aunt loves for me to play this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SYSXP30ysw

John in Oregon

Re: Players Choice - Polka a ma vielle tante

Wow, you nailed that one, John.

Re: Players Choice - Polka a ma vielle tante

Thanks Bryan. Do you or anyone know some history behind that song or the Cajun Polka in general?

I understand that that type of song was played a bit more in temps passe.

John in Oregon

Re: Players Choice - something slightly different

This link appeared after I listened to my recording. A hurdy gurdy and a melodeon. I'm guessing a Quebecois style?? This guys trills are just amazing!! Apparently this was recorded in 1923. Anyone have any information? I'm in awe.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!