Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accordion MIcrophone Front Mounts

Thank you so much...I didn't get into detail but I am working on a design with my friend for a custom Microphone and mount..That was very helpful. We are prob gonna do an original design for the Microphone element part of it though...

http://workhorsemicrophones.com/

I've been trying to decide on a clip-on mic for my accordion. I may have the opportunity to play with a band here sometime soon. I'd definitely like to have some recommendations.

John in Oregon

check out audio technica pro 35.

I use a Audio Technica ATM 35 and I'm very happy with that.
There's also a cheaper version from almost the same mike from Samson.
At link#2 you see a small aluminium strip to put the microphone on.

I used the old fashioned snap-on for years, until it was stolen in a home burglary. Someone gave me a condenser mic which I have now used for some years. I am about to order the big snap-on again. I'm going to check Savoy Music first--they probably have some. Or any Louisiana accordion builder will probably have them.

One thing to remember if you go with a smaller condenser mic, is that it needs phantom power. So you either need to plug into a board that has it, or carry a phantom power box with you. Recently I bought a new powered speaker that I can plug directly into, but didn't realize till my first gig with it that it didn't have phantom power.

I also use an Audio-Technica clip-on mic. I bought it from Larry Miller (of Iota, LA) way back around 2001 or so. I love it. I don't like the look of the big plate-mounted mic heads like some of the older players have, as I don't want to have to drill any more holes in my accordion, and those large mounts also don't let folks watch the flappers move. BTW, those same AT mics are used by a lot of fiddlers who clip them on their fiddle's tailpiece.

Yes, the Audio-Technica mics need phantom power, but that's not a problem. Most mixers should have phantom power available, although I also carry my own phantom power box in case I need it when playing a gig through someone else's PA in case they don't have phantom power.

Garry K

Big Nick also have information on his website see link#2

Also Shure and AKG has a very good clip on for the accordion.

There are also very good ones from Shure(Shure 98) and AKG(516 or 418)
Link#3 gives you some examples.

I'm not sure, but I thought that Junior Martin made the old fashion front Mounts?

Can anyone post some photos of his/her Audio Technica mic clipped onto the accordion? Thank you!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!