Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mr. Sterling does Tolam Waltz

It does have a very mellow sound. To make it easier to play, I cheated and replaced one of the mid rows with some brass bases Ciccarelli reeds.

It has a nice coolness factor, Bryan. Are those standard issue bellows, or did you have to order to size?

They're special order, Ganey, odd size even for Sterling.

I had some extensive work to do on this box. The most disheartening thing was the chord reeds. That is my favorite part of those old boxes, the sound of those chord reed plates with all the chord reeds on one single big plate. It seems someone tried to make this one a Bb, and had ground the push side to Bb, which is too far to sharpen back to C as thin as these reeds are, so I filled in the grindings with solder. I brought it back to C, but it sounds a little wonky. Most listeners won't notice, but someone listening for it, or someone with good ears will notice.

Am I right that your accordion is tuned in C ?
I don't understand some of the button when I try to play along with you.
In the beginning you start on buttton 3 and on my accordion I need to play button 2 both push.
Later in the song I need to play the same buttons as you do.
Is that the cheat you were writing about in a former post .

I don't know Ron, entirely possible I'm just playing it wrong. Yes, it is C.

Bryan, as far as I know now it's only one time I think I have to do something different than you do.
I'm sure you don't do anything wrong and it sounds really great.
Need some time to handle it myself , I think.

Bryan,

This is really close to La Valse de Famille. At least to my ear. Is one derived from the other.

Man.. you just nailed that one down so well. The waltz time pulsing.. Very nice.

John in Oregon

To paraphrase a fiddler's saying, "accordion players only have about 5 songs, they change a couple notes and call it a different song".

What pulsing?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!