Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun Experience

No one can give you a good answer to your questions. The big three builders all have loyal customers for a reason, they've each earned their mark. Each feels different, and to some degree, sound different, and personal preference plays a bigger difference than anything. For that matter, different boxes from the same builder will have sound differences. The only way to answer your questions is to put your hands on several and decide which you like best, and that's hard to do.

Ah Corbin - a tricky question to answer where so much is subjective. There may be other commercial qualifiers such as what will I pay? how long will it take? what if I want to customize in some way? or perhaps what sounds the best? is easiest to play or even looks the business? I can give you my experience based on my expectations and accordions. Bryan Lafleur accordions are the best engineered, Marc Savoy accordions have the best sound, Jr. Martin accordions can look the best and have a louder voice and Larry Miller accordions are also good.

Leland Colligan in Carencro has been making accordions for over 30 years. He makes enough accordions at a time to always have one on the shelf for sale. His prices are a little lower than the others but no skimping on quality. Jimmy Breaux plays his accordions and so do I. He is in the book, look him up

It Ain't the Box.
It's the Boxer.
And the Boxer's Bank Account.
JB

Miller, Marti,n and Savoy are the top three "production" builders.

For traditional and outstanding quality, Jude Moreau and John (Elton) Doucet and for a bit of a twist Bryan La Fleur.

Far and away my choices over your list.

You asked for a reason.

Quality
Entirely handmade by them and them alone
Character not found in production boxes.

None of my list consider this a profession, so much as a passion and a commitment
I have a personal knowledge of my list of three (and the others on your list)
Value.. not price, V A L U E
Your list.. all three use BUTT joints.. unacceptable. Period. !!!

Forget the butt-joint stuff, it has zero to do with sound. Marc makes probably the benchmark of Cajun accordions. Larry Miller makes terrific boxes, a bit underrated but really well made and sound great Jude and Ed Poullard and others make wonderful accordions. I'd look around and take your time but the above makers make great instruments...

Hang on accordion players all the experts coming out of the dark corners to really educate us. LMAO

Zzzz...

But joints are lazy and a sign of mediocrity. Inexcusable.

You will never fine a butt joint anywhere in woodworking Japan... never.
Un acceptable.

No self respecting Western woodworker would waste his time on a butt joint.

There is no defense.

You will find all sorts of joints in the woodwork in Japan. Your comment is inaccurate. The only thing that counts is, get ready, the sound. We've had this conversation for years, it's all good... ;- )

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/76959

By the way, Jeff-san, I'm look hard at property between Jacksonville and Apple Valley. Little less than two years and I'm outta here!

For Pal;

"I don't like golf,
I don't like quoits,
I just like makin'
them big butt joints-

We gonna do that butt thing!"

Ha, ha, i typed up a long well explained comment, but "Cajun Accordion Discussion page" determined my comment to be SPAM. So, everybody just lost a whole lot of info on the best kind of accordions. You need to look into this web master guy. I don't like to repeat myself because of a technical glitch. My information was priceless by the way.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!