Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Looking for Box

Hi all

First post. I am in Ontario Canada

I been thinking of getting a Cajun style box for quite a while. Its my favourite music.

????'s

What make and style of box is good for a beginner.??

I don't want a beginner box want something that will last.

What key should I get to be able to play along with most tunes.???

I have been looking and seems to me Hohner has the cheapest boxes but read that they are not really up to snuff specially the keyboard buttons. Is this true??

Any suggestions would be wonderful..

thanks
Johnnie

Re: New Looking for Box

Hey Johnnie,

For Cajun music, the Key of C is the main key. Key of D is the next in popularity because of it's compatibilty with standard fiddle tuning.

Forget the Hohners. If you're in for the long haul, the handmade is the way to go. I wasted some money on Hohners before I saw the light.

The big problem is lead time. 6 months to a year wait is common. These guys may have some boxes ready for reeds:

John Elton Doucet, Church Point, LA, builds a good one from $1600 USD - Email: jedoucet@earthlink.net

Tim Reed, Watkinsville, GA (native of Ville Platte, LA) also from $1875 - Web: http://www.cajuncraftedaccordions.com

It's not just LA handmades, because many come from elsewhere, but they all have a Louisiana connection or heritage.

Brian Lefleur (Web: www.lansegriseaccordions.com), Athens, TX, and Ed Poullard (Email: epoullard@nationwide.net), Beaumont, TX, both make great accordions that sell from the low $2000 USD range, but they're booked up. Jude Moreau, Groves, TX, stays busy, but I'm not sure of his price and delivery.

The builders most in demand such as Marc Savoy, Jr. Martin, and Randy Falcon are selling in the $3000 USD range.

Good luck in your quest! I hope this helps.

Nedro

Glad to hear that you have passion for Cajun Music.
Great advise from Nedro.
Investment in a good hand made instrument will bring much satisfaction.
I live in Louisiana and would be happy to assist you in finding the accordion you decide to purchase.
E mail me at klavigne@eatel.net if you want me to assist you on locating your accordion.
Kent

thanks for all the info

I have been looking around mainly for used. I just can't afford 1500 bux etc. I am old and retired and on pension.. ANyone on pension knows what I am talking about when it comes to 'extra' money.. lol

So does anyone know when I could pick up a box say 800 to 1300 bux or so.

Really only interested in a Box in the key of C

thanks
JJ
Johnne

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!