Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: methods of learning

Would it be possible to get some of them?

Paul I could share a few of the tabs I have. Give me an e-mail address and I will scan and send them. Do you have titles in mind? If I have those I can send, let me know

Tabs for Martin's or Acadian accordion ?

Marc.

Marc only Martins we all know Acadians suck just like there maker

Thanks Randy,
Don't go to a lot of trouble. Just send me your favorites. If it helps, I may ask for a couple more. My email address is pman905@yahoo.com
Thanks, Paul

@ Randy, i too would appreciate some tabs..

email to Blackrockzydeco@gmail.com

Memory is the main reason for me to use tabs.
And also to get things as right as possible(what are they playing precisely) from slow downed music.
I'm getting better in hearing things over the years, but I have to play the accordion and listen to Cajun music as much as possible.
I play almost every day and I can play the most songs without looking at the tabs.
Link#2 gives an idea how I did it many years ago and sometimes do it now if I want to know it excactly. In the beginning we did it with a cassetterecorder, but with the digital things nowadays it's much easier.

I can't play with tabs. I just listen and play. That's how I learned both fiddle and accordion. At times I wish I could read music for some songs but oh well.

If you can read music then you need to follow The Way of Gruesomeness. Surely.

please elaborate on the way of Gruesomeness....?

The only real method of learning, is spending TIME. If you say to yourself, "I will f'n do this", then you will do it. Be militant. It doesn't take a big brain to learn the Cajun accordion. But, the most important first step, is to listen to these songs, over, and over, and over. Listen to them until you're sick of them. I also advise getting Dirk Powell's videos. If I had not watched them, in 2002, I'd have gotten nowhere. Funny thing about him, is that he's not even from Louisiana. But, I've found that good playing outsiders, are much better teachers.

Hi Ron

a far as i’m concerned :

- learn the basic tune - no embellishments

- understand the chord structure. I think for me, understanding where the tune is wether its playing a C, F, G, D etc is fundamental to where your fingers need to be for the embellishments - at that point try playing a tunes as a series of chord changes (without the tune) to a cajun rhythm.

- find a version you can play along with - some artists i find i can pick out the tune no matter what, others i find really hard. For reference id try and find a version by Ray Abshire, Marc Savoy, Jesse Lége or Jimmy Breaux - thats just my preference.

- listen to the tune without playing, i find as much as i THINK i know a tune remembering every detail is difficult whilst you are playing along. Also, play it until you’re sick of it! - only then you might remember it

If your interested in learning basics of a Zydeco tune Jeffery Broussard's Zydeco Extravaganza's tabs and video clips are listed on the following web page.

http://www.zydecoaccordion.com/learn.html#LSN1

It's amazingly simple at the basic level and easy to add embellishments later..

When you have the basic melody down email me and i can send you the video clips to how to play several variations of breakdowns which i am very addicted to...

gbenusa @ pacbell.net

-Greg

thanks everybody for adding to the thread with your own personal insight as to learning. I will take these bits and digest them into my journey.. Currently ive been working on some songs
, by slowing down the video till i have it nailed, then doing a backing track ( bass n drum) at slow tempos untill speed is increased. i still am at a wierd point in this endeavor, one that ive been at before( w Piano accordion). one bad note kills the whole thing.

When i first started out i would play sheet music with rich arrangements, that were probably above my playing level, when difficult sections would come about the piece would crumble.

Years later i started playing with people and realized the importance of 1. singing, 2. chords and mainting song structure/ and being able to find my place.

so yes Ian i am still struggling with comping chords ( not playing lead), this comes easy on the PA but slower on the cajun accordion.

trying to keep my mind on the trees, while being in the forest!

I'm right with the ultra-stlish Ian on the chord thing: once I got a feel for structure and playing chords (or maybe more accurately, "blends"), I learned a lot faster.

My favorite way to learn, more or less: Pick a song. Make a CD of every version of the song I have, using Audacity to change ones in a different key to a key appropriate to the C box. Throughout the day, as I'm riding around in my truck from job to job, I start by listening, listening, listening. Then I start chording with the songs, so I get a feel for the songs and their structure (there's a little "essay" I wrote at the bottom of the homepage about how to do this). Then my learning splits into a couple of different avenues:

1) After chording with them for a while, I find that my fingers want to do things on their own, of their own, ahem, accord, as it were, and I'll start adding in licks, maybe ones I didn't know before, maybe ones that I've used elsewhere, maybe ones I'm hearing in the song.

2) I'll finds different versions or different licks from the different versions I've recorded that I'm drawn to, that I REALLY want to do, so I'll start picking them apart to try to get them JUST like the original. Maybe I'll be able to figure them out on my own, maybe I'll employ Audacity again, this time to really SLOW them down, and add a 60% or an 80% version (which is often an enjoyable speed to play them) to the CD to play along with to get it. Every once in a while, I'll have to go to 40% or even lower to pick out a tricky part. I call this "taking it back to the lab and dissecting it".

*HINT* Sometimes I'll get a lick, but think "Dam, that's an awkward way to play that lick. How does he do that?" Well, in many cases, he's NOT doing that. Oh, he's playing the same lick, alright, but he's doing it a different way, using different fingering. There's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, on these licks, meaning there's maybe 3 different fingerings or more to get the same notes. If the way you chose is especially awkward, chances are that's not the way they're doing it. Experimenting and watching a video, if one is available, can help.

When in doubt, I pray to God and Chris Miller. Unlike God, Chris Miller often answers . . . Yeah, Chris may be #2 behind God, but I believe he's gaining on Him . . .

I don't know if you're at a place on your journey that the above helps, but I hope so. If I can help in any way, let me know. Feel free to call for questions and/or therapy.

Essential to the whole process, as I believe Jim Pettijohn pointed out: TIME! you gotta put in the time, LOTS of it. Having played piano accordion (and very well, I might add) gives you a HUGE advantage. Play the hell out of a song, inside, outside, upside down. Then move on to another, and do the same. You'll find that one informs the other. Stick to it. You gonna be a good'un

Incidentally, I took a bunch of time I didn't have, to reply to your initial post on this thread a long time ago, with another long post - but then the computer rejected my post, calling it "SPAM", and I lost the whole dam thing! Aaaargh! I was so disheartened (and busy - still am; landscaper in Spring, y'know) that it's taken me 'til now to get back around to it.

Good luck!

Re: methods of learning and Chris Miller

He's busy as a house on fire, but Chris Miller is probably the best person in the history of the universe (and no, I'm not exaggerating) to answer this question. I can't say enough good things about his abilities and his ability to teach, a rare combination. I agree with Jim Pettitjohn about teachers from outside the culture - Dirk Powell, Jonno Frishberg, and our own Big Nick are outstanding - but Chris is the gold standard. No one plays better, and no one teaches better, period, in my humble experience. And he's a really good guy, to boot. We are VERY lucky to have him weighing in on this board now and again. I'd be interested to know how he'd answer this question, if he has the time . . .

If I got this right you need a truck, Chris Miller, time and an audacious garden. Oh my.

Time is an essential to be sure, Sir Guy; the other three are just helpful (and glorious) blessings . . .

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!