Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
May 2015 Song of the Month - Eunice Waltz

This month, lets back it down and do a waltz. If you break it down to the very bare bones, the Eunice Waltz seems to share the same pattern with others such as the Love Bridge Waltz, La Valse de Famille, and others I'm sure.

There are several versions out that I particularly like. Kristi Guillory along with Courtney Granger and Christine Balfa do a great instructional that will get you going with the vocals.

I really like this version that Bryan LaFleur does. Hah... he calls this a simple rendition...

Ganey Arsement does a super nice version that highlights how you can showcase the big long notes this song wants to do

This really is an easy song to get into the repertoire and I play it a lot and will actually post early on this one.

Soo.. those who don't know the song.. Sort out and lets hear it. Those who know it... show us your chops and how to improve.

John in Oregon

Re: May 2015 Song of the Month - Eunice Waltz

Finally!! I'll lead the way on this song. Big thanks to Kristi Guillory for the version she posted along with Courtney Granger and Christine Balfa. I love that alternative A-part she does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g48bjW7t8R4

John in Oregon

New player here (bought my Hohner over a year ago - tendonitis has kept me from learning - I'm trying to start back up). I just wanted to say thank you to the folks who post on these 'song of the month' threads - although I don't have anything to share - these are VERY helpful to 'newbies' such as myself. Especially seeing\\hearing different versions of the songs. Thank you to all who contribute! Hopefully someday I will be able to share also!

Thats great intricate playing John and really steady too- a big pat on the back sir, it must be the beer and snacks!
I'm going to enjoy learning this one.
That Kristi Guillory clip is excellent, is it from a DVD?

Kristi, Christine, and Courtney did several youtube videos for learning to sing Cajun songs. They are also all great recordings for getting going on the song with the accordion.

I really wish they had kept up with that project. I like singing, but my french needs a lot of work.

Heh.. fish shaped crackers and my homebrew german hefeweizen. Can't beat it for refreshments while playing.

John in Oregon

John thats reminded me to get on with making some spruce beer.

But first you should post the Eunice Waltz.

BTW... I did post the Eunice 2-Step.

John in Oregon

Hi all,

I made backing tracks to practice
70, 90 & 120 bpm
here they are to download:
http://soundcloud.com/ninjasan/sets/eunice-waltz-backing-tracks

christophe

Merci beaucoup!

Wow!! What a new dimension. It is really quite difficult to play along for me. I've never had accompaniment. Thanks for taking the time and posting this.

John in Oregon

At second sight, listening to these backing tracks
I found piano to be too much intrusive,
Rythm needs to be more evident for practice purpose,
Would it be better without piano next time ?
what do you think ?

Christophe

PS : and of course, piano is not very accurate
for Cajun traditionnal music

Christophe,

I agree that the rhythm could be more prominent, but the soft piano provides a helpful point of reference for the wandering minstrel. :-)

You could probably bundle a few of these for sale.

Thanks again.

Nedro

For some really good backing tracks I'd recommend PracTracks by Tracy Schwarz. It's fairly old and I believe only on cassette tape, but it's worth having. I'm using it with a student of mine who learns alone and doesn't have good rhythm accompaniment (except when he comes to the house and I play guitar).

BTW, Tracy's tape doesn't have the Eunice Waltz, but it has several other traditional songs that you'll find played at jams.

Gene

I have converted Tracys tracks to digital. If he were to give permission, I would share them.

John in Oregon

Re: May 2015 Song of the Month - Eunice Waltz - well??????

Come on!! Lets hear what folks got on this one. We're almost at the end of the month.

John in Oregon

Re: May 2015 Song of the Month - Eunice Waltz - well??????

You left out this little gem. My cousin Jason Babineaux and my buddy Christian Lejeune playing in my parents back yard with "The Voice", defunt Bernie David singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfyPs50EkTg

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!