Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: June Song of the Month-Calcasieu Waltz

Absolutely WONDERFUL !
I love both of them:

Second one is really moving,
the first one just a little slower shows better the internal mechanics complexity to the profane (ie: myself).

"La musique est un exercice occulte de l' arithmétique en lequel l' âme n' a pas conscience de compter" Music is a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is counting.

Leibniz said that in 17xx ...
but
I know I would have to count every 1/8th, 1/16th , 1/32th the hard way

Christophe,

In that one statement about music being a hidden arithmetic excercise of the soul.....you dam near solved the phenomenon of Cajun accordion playing and proper presentation. Now, go ahead and count buttons and follow key charts in your learning if you want to, but never forget to let the brain take a back seat while the soul plays your accordion. In speed and capability, the brain is limited to something like 23 to 26 frames, while the soul is supposed to be infinite. As a Cajun player from south Louisiana, I tried the button counting thing for about a month. It never really produced fruit if you know what I mean. Best to find the correct notes by ear and what ever visuals you can steal from other accordion players. Strive to hit the basic notes of the song correctly over and over until finally muscle memory takes over when you play. You can add to that later. Yes, the brain will have to remember how to start the tune, but once it's started, give it over to your soul. And don't forget to tap your dam feet! Very important, for they send the rhythm outward and inward to all your senses and to the senses of those hearing you play. If you fail to grasp this way of playing, you will only ever be a mechanical parakeet that copies and re-presents nothing of any originality nor true heart felt, inspiring quality. Oh, and stay away from that flat extended finger style of playing. That crap is just unnatural and girly. Fingers should be relaxed, slightly bent towards the buttons and sort of crunching on them as you play. You're not playing a piano nor some kind of skin flute! Most important thing that brings it all together is rhythm. If the soul be the root of the tree, the rhythm of the music you play is the trunk. I don't expect you to understand most of what I've said for at least 20 years or so. Wisdom doesn't come over night, but over a lifetime. Be well Grasshopper..

Oh, and something of interest....if I had tried to convey the above idea and words in the native Cajun French language, it would have been near impossible. Most of the old Cajun accordion masters didnt teach, they expected you to watch them, pick it up quick, and get it on your own. If you did well, they would claim having taught you, if you sucked, they wouldnt.

Ganey! Thanks for stepping up. This gives a great set of references. As it turns out, I've been sort of noodling around with this one for some time without realizing it.

John in Oregon

Great playing of a nice tune.
It would take a hell of a job to get even near your version.
I seldom heard so many triplet figures in a waltz!!
And to play that up to normal speed takes a lot of technique.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!