Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment

Hi. I found out about 10 years ago that I am a coonass. My grandparents, from my mother's side' were from Lafayette. About 20 years ago, my wife and I took a trip to Lafayette and stayed for about three days. Before going back home, we stopped at the Martin Accordion shop. I drooled a little but didn't buy anything. Last month we took another trip to Lafayette. This time we visited several quilting shops and again before leaving for home we visited Martin's again. But this time I bought a key of "c" Cajun Accordion. We visited several hours with Junior and met his sons, daughter and grandson, who played the Cajuin accordion very well. Several days ago I purchased vol.1&2 from Big Nick. Previewed vol.1 and give Nick an "A" for his instructional DVD. Big Nick. Thanks, Steve

Re: Newbie

Welcome Steve
If your family have roots in Louisiana you need to be carefull with the word coonass, because many consider the term an insult and others consider it as a compliment or a badge of honor (Wiki)

An accordion from Junior Martin is a good choice, but there are more builders who made good ones.
Very nice people too and Joel is a hell of an accordionplayer.
Now it starts really for you, because you'll have to practice every day for many hours before you could play something
Good luck with that and a lot of the braves here put videos on youtube wich you also can use to learn.
But it's good to use a method with some structure to learn the basics and further.

Re: Newbie

See Steve is a very smart man he bought the accordion from Jr Martin like he says Jr will visit with you and treat you as a friend even though your a customer but in any event you will pass a good time. Joel his grandson is a fantastic accordion player and a great teacher.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!