Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
want to learn.

Hi all. Just found this website. I think it's quite interesting. Well I am new to this. I badly want to learn accordion. I have been playing guitar for several years. I've been addicted to the accordion since I heard Jesé lege play when I was a kid. I researched and researched. I don't really know where to start. Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me Chauvin.corey@yhoo.com. Thanks all. Keep the music coming!

Re: want to learn.

Welcome Corey.
Read what Steve B wrote about his start with the Cajun Accordion.
And you're not the first one with this question, so there's a lot of information on this forum.
To start you have to buy an Accordion and the Dvd's from Big Nick or Dirk Powell are very good to start with.
I don't know whre you're from, but a teacher would be fine too.
Teachers are not easily find outside Louisiana :-:
Good luck with it.

Thanks for your reply. I am from Maurice la. Yes I have found those DVDs. They seem great. I am looking around for a box now. And letting go of a few guitars. To soften the blow for my wife haha.

It's a bit strange that I write to somebody who's living in the middle of Cajun Country. You're so close to all that fantastic jams/festivals/builders where you can find all the information you need.
Again good luck and keep us informed please.

Your not here in Louisiana?

Chauvin
Your not here in Louisiana?

Hi Corey,
we are a lot of foreigners in love with Cajun music and culture .

I have too many guitars myself ,
You'll find that some musical instrumental background is always very usefull
the only thing to keep in mind is that in opposite to Guitarland,
in Accordionland a push-pull is not a tube amplifier
and no there's no C7sus4 b13 tension chord button ;-)

Jesse lege/Toby mouton. Truly amazing.

http://youtu.be/zntmUjAKZzs

Re: Jesse lege/Toby mouton. Truly amazing.

Corey, it seems funny that lots of people from the heartland of Cajun music, are interested in the Cajun accordion but don't know where to go or to start. You are not the first one on this board from the Cajun region with this question. Even while you only have to look next door to find what you want.
Ron and I live in the Netherlands, so to go to a dance, a jam or a Fais dodo, we would have to travel half the world!! Anyway, you are on the right place here to get all the information you want. Welcome and good luck!

Re: Jesse lege/Toby mouton. Truly amazing.

Hi there peer and thanks. Yes you are correct. We do have several options right next door. I live 20 min from Martin accordions. I'm just a researcher. It's just a matter of what's the best style, option, builder, brand ect. That's awesome that our culture is way over there. I had no idea. I have full respect for you for exceriseing cajun culture across the world. Yes I love this forum. I've enjoyed to information and conversation. If any of you ever need anything I can assist with being right here. Just let me know! chauvin.corey@yahoo.com

Chauvin
Thanks for your reply. I am from Maurice la. Yes I have found those DVDs. They seem great. I am looking around for a box now. And letting go of a few guitars. To soften the blow for my wife haha.

Hi..
Well its sounds like your doing the same thing I did.. I had ten guitars last year and now have 5 so slowly whittlin them away. Would like to get down to a couple.

I have Nicks dvd's and enjoy them a lot.. I find him quite funny and friendly..
I thought I was seeing double there when he first came up with a lesson with two of him.. lol.. Just about fell out of my chair..

Must have been a real challenge synching up the two vids to get one and stay on beat and meter.. lol..

I found a box and been messin with the dvd's but a few weeks now.. I am 71 years old so will never be any good but that don't matter..Enjoy thats the end game.

Maybe I will go out of this world playing my box in my lazy boy watching Nick do his thing. lol. Would be nice.. !!

Enjoy and have fun.!!

Johnniez.
Ontario Canada

Re: want to learn, but be carefull with selling guitars :-)

For all guitarist , who want to play the accordion.
When you're on a jam it's allways many accordions and much more fiddlers and a lack of guitarplayers. So don't sell your dreadnought and allways take it with you when you're going to a jam. You make many people lucky with your steady rhythm

I visited LA twice in 2010 and 2011 and I/we had both times such a wunderfull time. In 2011 we played at the Liberty in Eunice and during several jam sessions played with several heroes.
The one I was sitting beside DL Menard at the Begnaud House in Scott was so awesome and Don Montoucet was there too. At Savoy Music Centre sitting with Milton Vanicor, Robert Leblanc, Harry Lafleur, .......
I also met Mr Freddy Hanks and that was one of nicest guys I met there.
Suppose I love Dutch music, than it would be impossible to make music with people who are the stars
My first jam at LA was at the Begnaud house and it was not very busy. Only Mr Freddy Hanks, Terry Montoucet and two young guys Zach Fuselier and Jacob Leblanc. Nobody plays the accordion and I bring one with me by coincedence
Zach and Jacob just started to play in 2010 and when you hear the guys now it's unbelievable how good the guys are.
Great menories , that's for sure.

Melodern you met some wonderful home town guys. D.l I've met once. He is so down to earth. Next time you come to town shoot me and email. I'll defiantly tag along if you don't mind. Are you suggesting I bring a guitar to a jam session? That though never crossed my mind. Actually I'd like to play with d.l one time. You know meloderon I may give Cajun guitar a shot. What ya think?

It's not a suggestion. it's an order
If you can play guitar it's also useful to learn the songs by playing guitar.
When very good guitarplayers come and sit in a cajun jam , they allways have problems with the chordchanges in Cajun music. Often they are wrong because of the bass-side of the accordion and they can't handle the lack of chords

I can't do it, but it's a very basic way of playing guitar if you play traditional in my opinion. It's sometimes also a problem with fiddle/violin players here because they refuse to play rhythm when they are not doing a solo and allways busy with look what I can do on my instrument
But I'm from Barcelona and know nothing (Quote Manuel: Fawlty Towers)

I'll give it a shot. Yea I watched a bunch of d.l videos on YouTube. All he uses is the g,d,c. And f a few times. He uses the e and a string to follow the base line. Then the rest of the strong to ring out the chord. Like a 2 part strum. The second part of the strum is muffled by lifting fingers. I'm going to go to the jam next weekend.

If a guitar player comes from playing a fair bit of country music, as I, I don't think there would be much of a problem picking it up... A rocker guitar player would not have a clue.. lol

Ask Doug Kershaw about the time he was booked into the Blue Note tavern [a pure jazz club it was at the time] on Young st. in downtown Toronto, Canada, and ended up with a 3 piece trio that had not a clue of what Doug was doing.. My fellow bass player and I were there. I truly felt sorry for him.. They had a hard time following a 3 chord song. Was unbelievable to say the least..

SO a country player would find it a lot easier. The major thing in the Cajun tunes is the weird changes sometimes, almost off beat but not.. if you understand what I am trying to get across.

My Nickel.. We don't have pennies in Canada anymore. !!!

Oh yea I understand. I've played on both sides of the river. Born and raised in county and Cajun music. I played rock about ten years or so ago. Now I basically play acoustic. Throw a few chords together. Sometimes I'll hit s blues scale. But I sure am going to try. We will just see.

Johnnie you are truly an inspirational character. 71 yrs old playing accordion and enjoying your self. That makes you as good as anyone around here in my eyes. And a lot of the big players around here are the same way. i don't even know how many guitars I have. I think I'm gonna keep 3. One les Paul. One acoustic ( probably my Gibson) and one my grand paw bought me when I was 9 and passed 3 weeks later. Don't know anything about the guitar. I am 30 be 31 next month. Living in Cajun heartland. I was actually raised on Cajun music. I can remember going to my grandparents on my dads side. And hearing the Cajun music playing. I just recently took it a lot in. Cajun life is the only way. I also have 3 kids. 9,5,3. My 9 year old loves Cajun music so far. Honestly my change came when I lost my mom in October last year. She was 49 years old. Well I'm rambling on way too much. Just got a lot of respect for you man. Keep on playing!

Buy a Martin to start off with and you will own the best accordion around. He will also talk to you as a friend not like another builder who shall remain nameless

Sort of a follow-up to Peer's remarks. Every Saturday from 1:00 to 3:00 pm there is a public jam at the Vermillionville Performance Center in Lafayette (near the airport). The jam is hosted by Ray Landry who does an excellent job of running the show and adding historical commentary for the songs. Top name guest musicians lead the music, changing each week.

You don't have to play - just watch and listen. I'm not certain, but I think it is free. Even with a nominal fee, it would be a heckuva deal. Top performers, up close and personal, good music, pleasant setting. Check it out.

Man thanks a lot for that information. I didn't know that and I live here haha. I will defiantly be attending tomorrow. Even with a fee. That kind of event is priceless. I've been to several festivals and events. You can't get close to them. My wife took a pic with Joel sonnier awhile back. And we talked to toups for a bit.

Drew Simon and Ed Poullard at Vermilionville tomorrow!

Sweet! Count me in. How'd you hear that?

They will be at the jam session? 1pm -3pm?

Yes, 1-3. Ray Landry posts the announcement weekly on his Facebook page.

Just got home from jam sessions. Had a wonderful time. Cheryl Cormier was there drew and Ed played. Very welcoming ppl. Today is Cheryl Cormier and her husband 51 wedding anniversary.

It was free when you bring an instrument, but the museum is very nice to visit :-)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!