Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: G Box or C box

If you are hearing Cajun songs played in the key of G, it is nearly 100% that it was done on a C box, and not a G. C accordions are by far the most commonly used, followed by D. The use of G accordions is extremely rare in Cajun music.

But, that does not mean that it is impossible.

What you need to do is find a way of identifying whether or not the song is in the 1st position or the second. After a while, it just comes naturally. But there are telltale clues, such as the use of the flat 7th as explained by Nedro.

Re: G Box or C box

Thanks David and Nedro..

Well I am not near being able to tell the difference yet but will get there. I do understand music very well be it written or ear. Mostly ear.. Started music , guitar when I was 13 my own band at 15..,You might have heard of them in the north specially,called Freddie and The Free Loaders. We made a few bucks over the years..

So I have developed a very good ear and had a few students and I would only teach by ear. Some parents did not agree, and that was ok.. I just stopped giving their kids lessons.. Then they wanted an explation.. I told em,, There is not one, I just teach by ear, you don't like it, don't bring your kid anymore.. lessons closed.. lol. along those lines anyway..

SO !! thanks a bunch I now understand what to listen for and last day or so its coming along..

It is nice to know a formula now and then.. and being an old fart like I am I can use all the help I can get. I won't be playin in no band anymore. Just play to records and Cajun Radio nowadays and its all good. I had my fun !!!! Leave it for the younguns !!

Thanks again much appreciate the tips !

Johnniez

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!