Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Box Corner On Knee???

meloderon
Maybe your thumbstrap is to open for your thumb.
You can tiden that up a bit and than it's easier to keep it on the same place.

Hi Meloderon

Well, I had thought that also but I have an elastic around it to tighten it up and it does work. I really have to shove my thumb in there up past the knuckle and its quite tight..

I also read somewhere that it helps to cross your legs and put box between somehow. No idea what that means let alone which leg cross.. Left over right or right over left..

tnx for that tho appreciate it.. Me thinks just have to practice more..

Johnnie

J - strictly speaking the land area is between the knee and the hip. You'll work it out.

It may just be a mislabeling of body parts, but I believe most Cajun accordion players that don't use a strap, play with it on the upper to lower thigh. Most of the time it is on the left because that gives the bellows more room to be pulled open. On the right thigh, the bellows would be constricted by how far apart you had your legs.

Happy squeezin'

HI all

Well I have been at it now for a couple of days with my 'box' sitting on my left leg roughly closer to my body than my knei but out enough to keep my right arm fairly straight.. Seems to work ok.. Only thing is now my wrist and up the right side of my right arm up to a few inches from my elbow but more to the wrist is aching like a b***h that I can now barely play..

Could be tho just a breakin in period using muscles haven't used in what ever position I am in.. I understand that. I remember back when I was 13 the aches and stuff I went thru first learning guitar. so could be the same thing. .. .. 'maybe'

Am I supposed to keep my wrist straight or bent.. ??

Hmm !! any fixes for that... Geez I think I might go back to my guitar or take up the fiddle.. ;-)

tnx again..
Johnnie

Johnniez
HI all
Hmm !! any fixes for that... Geez I think I might go back to my guitar or take up the fiddle.. ;-)
tnx again..
Johnnie

Me again.. lol..

Well I fixed my problem. No one seemed or seems to have this problem of mine.
I figured out, at least for me, what it was/is.. The round chrome thing that is on the corners with a fair size radius is what is making it slide all over..
Ok ok,, no one has this prob and thats fine,, but I do/did !!

SO !! Made an appointment with the Surgeon !

Surgery took place and the patient is alive and well with a new addition to the wardrobe..

I took a piece of one of my old, elk hide bagpipe bag, and cut a strip and tacked it to the bottom corner that sits on the thigh.. from about 1 inch up from the rad, then around the rad and 1 inch along.. Did it last night..

Tried it out earlier.. Guess what.

Sticks to my thigh no matter what I am wearing or not wearing.. Works very well. So thanks for trying to help of those that did. Appreciate it.

Johnniez

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!