Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Left handed accordion.

I have heard that left handed accordions have been made. Not sure which builder it was.

I also know of left handed players who play a right handed accordion upside down. Rockin' Dopsie Sr. comes to mind.

Of the two options, I think the best is to get someone to build you a lefty.

Corey,

I felt like I was wrong-handed when I started playing the right-handed accordion as a right-hander. A number of successful golfers are left-handed but play with right-hand clubs.

It's awkward at the get-go, so you might be able to develop a dexterity in the left hand that will surprise you.

I'd bet the good players out there aren't ALL right-handed.

When all else fails, invert the box per Dopsie. Function before form.

Nedro

Link #2 shows you a left handed accordion.
Link#3 also shows you a left handed player at the Liberty Theater.
If it's possible you can get in touch with one of them to try a left handed one.

Goodluck with it :-)

I have a Martin left handed accordion that I would sell.
It is a stained curly maple and is in excellent condition,

I only know of one person who plays a Cajun style accordion, upside down. Guyland Leday is left-handed and plays it both ways. Ray Landry is left handed and plays a left handed guitar and accordion. I am left-handed and play accordion, bass and guitar, right-handed. I have a friend who is the same way. I was told early on that playing the accordion was no different than playing piano. There are no left-handed pianos. You train each hand to do what it needs to do. Now, admittedly, I am ambidextrous in many ways, but playing an instrument is not one.

Hi all

Just ran across this

My father-in-law.. Old school czechoslovakian played his 120/41 Hohner Atlantic upside down.. He played very well..

Yes thats right.. there are NO lefty pianos.. that does say something.

Johnniez

Yes sir mr arsement made a very good point.

Ganey arsement thanks very much for your reply. Yes I play guitar right handed and shoot a gun right handed. And maybe a few other small things. I held the right handed and it just felt funny. Like I wanted to flip it the other way. But also I agree with training your hands. I actually had the chance to attend vermillionville 2 weeks ago. Mr Ray Landry was there. He didn't play much guitar. He had one on a stand. He played Cajun bass. I am going to go right handed accordion. I have time anyway. An accordion not really in budget right now. Too much else going on. Soon though hopefully. Thanks again for your information.

steve riley has been known to play a right handed one upside down and backwards
i think for lessons so the other person can see
or maybe as a party trick

wle

If you decide to go the left handed box, it shouldn't be a big deal to have one made.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!