Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Squeeze" The Bass, Hmm!! Duh, Whats Up, Doc !!!!

Nothing.

Oh, Ok then.. If you say so. !!

Thank you
Johnnie

Well I found the one article..

It was talking about switching from regular accordion 120 bass 41 keys etc how when they are played, I do play one, actually have 3 different makes, most players and teachings also play the bass side by just sort of tapping the buttons fairly quickly.

He was saying that with the Cajun boxes you squeeze out the notes ,, MEANING that you hang on to the bass as long as the beat allows, then the chords the same. None of this tap tap which is fine with regular accordion.

I do hear that in a lot of recordings especially the older recordings on a Cajun box.

Cool stuff

Johnniez

That is exactly right! If you play the bass notes too short (staccato) It sounds a little like Polka music, or Welkish, if you will. The notes should be drawn out. The longer; the better.

Ganey

Just so you know you been one of my teachers for a few months now.. You have some nice stuff and pretty good at teaching too. You seem to be very patient.
Thanks for having them available.. I also been using Big Nicks and Dirk Powells dvds so I have enough TUTORS !! don't ya think.. lol Don't think I can find better.

Johnniez

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!