Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"J'ai Ete au Bal" I Went To The Dance Lessons or Tab

Hi all

I have loved this tune since the day I heard it maybe 30 years ago or so and said to myself back then, Man, I would love o learn how to play that. I was playing guitar professionally back then, I picked it out in my room or home every now and then but not the same..

Anyway this is the example that I want to and will learn.. I been messing with Cajun box for a few months now .. I know it is way beyond but its just my goal. I have some learn Cajun accordion lessons from Big Nick and Dirk Powell and following them along faithfully, When I get into a mind wandering mood I start messin with this tune..

So I anyone knows where there might be tab or video either or both to show the intricacies of this song.. Close on fingers video would be great. I have searched everywhere I can think of and not to be. But I am not that savy with internet stuff

Here is the tune and thanks for the help if you can.

Johnnie

What most hits me with his playing starts at around 2 minutes. The chuka chuka chka thing he has happening there is absolutely AWESOME. If and when I learn that it will really make my day.. lol..

I know this is long in the tooth but I am so glad this venue is here. Thanks Nick for that !!

Re: "J'ai Ete au Bal" I Went To The Dance Lessons or Tab

One of the first I learned too, on account of its similarities with
"Oh Susianah"! Still working on the key change bit though, but some don't bother with that. A good tune to have a go a singing too.
Here's a youtube lesson, done on a C accordion.

AJ, thanks a bunch for that.. Great.. Now, why can't I do that.. dang it !!!

Try slowing it down on youtube settings- the cog symbol.
You might pick it up if you break it down into little bits- play, stop, rewind and watch those flappers!
When you're not with your accordion whistle or hum the tune.

AJ
Try slowing it down on youtube settings- the cog symbol.
You might pick it up if you break it down into little bits- play, stop, rewind and watch those flappers!
When you're not with your accordion whistle or hum the tune.

Thanks again AJ

Yes just to let you know. I been playin music all my life and understand the ways of learning tunes by ear. And its right If you can't hum, sing or whistle the tune your not going to learn the song by ear. End of story.. I use to teach guitar.. Lots learn by notes and MelBay books etc. But some wanted nothing to do with that. Example Harry wants to learn Chuck Berry riffs.. lol.. There's no book out there to teach Chuck Berry riffs. any more than a book on I went to the dance..

Anyway..

I bought Amazing Slow Downer and also Ultimate Dvd Player and they have to be the BEST programs for learning. Both of them slow things right down as you suggest. Fairly pricey but one gets what one pays for.. Pay cheap you get cheap..

The Ultimate dvd player is awesome.. It slows down the video with NO pitch change, but pitch can be altered if not bang on or close to the instrument tuning, and can see every move of the fingers. Mind you you have to be able to see the fingers. lol.. The example that I gave of Jeunne's vid is not so clear but the one VID you sent me on here is clear as a bell.

I recommend those two programs to anyone who is learning an instrument of any kind not just a Cajun box by ear..

thanks a bunch for all your help.. Great bunch of folks on here thats for sure.. If I could I would be down in Louisiana in a blink, but, alas, I was a naughty boy when younger and not allowed over the border.. Christ, I'm 71 now you wouldn't think it would matter anymore. lol

Johnnie

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!