Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good Time Woman by Geno

This thing has me cornfused. It sounds like it's being played in second position on a single row. Ending chord/note is Bb. That tells me an F single row, which I've never heard him play before. This is off the "Everybody's Dancing" cd.

Is something else entirely going on here?

Dwight

Re: Good Time Woman by Geno

Dwight,
Sounds like he is playing on the pull on his Ab box to me.

Yep, definitely an Ab box on the pull, which is the key of Eb. The chord progression repeats one bar of Eb followed by one bar of Ab, then it hangs on Bb for 4 bars at the end of the bridge or whatever you want to call it.

Thanks yall. Didn't know he had an Ab. Now I do.

A long time ago, he was playing one of our local dances and he asked me to sit in for a couple songs.

The accordion was in Ab, and it might be the same one. I remember my thumb was swimming in the thumb strap - I have big hands, but I guess not as big as his.

It was fun playing with his awesome band!

I have an A box, so, should work. I have a similar vocal range as geno, so when he does something to dodge a high note, I usually can't hit it either. In Jeunes files DE LA campagne, he misprounces campagne (compawn) because that allows him to hit it. I just do it in D on my GC box.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!