Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Difference between Cajun and Old Creole accordion styles?

Can anyone explain the difference between Cajun accordion style and the old time Creole accordion style ala Amedee, Bois Sec, Carriere Brothers etc.? Is it a matter of repertoire, syncopation, or other distinguishing aspects that make it so? I am not referring to Zydeco or the new Creole style.

Don

Re: Difference between Cajun and Old Creole accordion styles?

I would say that the Old Creole style emphasizes the fiddle more, especially dual fiddle. Accordion takes a bit more of a back seat. Perhaps that was because the old accordions just were not up to what modern LA built boxes can do. Check out the music of the "Creole Belles" out of San Francisco. They have immersed themselves in older sounds.

I'll give it a try, from my perspective. I've been playing what I would call, traditional Cajun French music for over 30 years. I had heard of Creole music, but I had never heard the music itself. And then one day (many years ago) , I met Ed and Danny Poullard in Galveston, Tx. Ed gave me one of their newly released C/D's, "Poullard, Poullard and Garnier". That recordiig had a mixture of old traditional Cajun songs and old Creole songs. They weren't labled as such, but I could tell the difference when I heard them. I will have say, that the difference is so subtle, that there almost isn't a difference. I would say that the Creole songs are simpler, or less complex ? More "stripped down". If that makes any since? But, because they are less complex, they tend to have this little "groove" to them, that is more felt than it is heard? This is true for both the waltzs and two steps. It could very well be because of the influence of Blues music in the Creole music. Blues is layed back, smooth and flowing. That's my take on it anyway. BTW, that meeting with Ed and Danny was the beginning of a lifelong friendship and one of the greatest blessings in my life.

Joe Hall made a instruction DVD.
Maybe that's an option to look at
See link#2

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!