Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Internal mic short

Check all solder connections, particularly in any connectors. I had an intermittent (loud) static noise with my external clip-on mic a while ago. It turned out to be a loose ground connection inside the XLR connector. The ground connection inside that connector was just screwed down, and the screw had loosened over time. A little solder fixed that.

If you have an internal mic, you could have some insulation on the wires that got rubbed off from the internal components of your accordion, or the wires themselves could be broken inside the insulation. If you can, take your accordion apart and closely inspect the wires. Plug into an amp while disconnected and flex, stretch, etc, the wires to try to find the bad spot.

If it's just wires that have come loose, solder them to fix the problem. If it's worn insulation, you'll have to tape the wires with electrical tape or use shrink tubing. If wires are broken, you'll either have to splice and solder the wire (then insulate) or else replace the wire entirely.

There's also the chance of wires inside the mic could have gone bad, broken, lost insulation, etc.

Is it a condenser mic that requires a battery/phantom power? I have one piano-key accordion with a built-in mic that also has an internal 9V battery. That battery needs to be replaced periodically. You could also have dirty connections to the battery, or just have the battery going bad. If you have a battery, make sure the connections are tight.

Anyway, that's some stuff to check. (Also check the external mic cables to ensure they are not bad. You could have a loose connection inside an XLR/phone plug connector, besides having an intermittent bad wire inside the cable.)

Garry K

Re: Internal mic short

Thanks for the reply. could have been some wax on internal connector. i scraped and pulled the contact a lil bit. new cords, checked everything in studio works fine. can recreate, issue with wireless no dropouts in studio...

lets see what happens tonight!!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!