Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
figuring out trills

anyone have any tips to figuring out trills. Forgive me if that's misspelled. I've got the song down but in trying to add the little extras in there. I've listened to the song over and over can't quite pick the little extra trills.

Re: figuring out trills

I've been trying to figure them out too. It's not as simple as it seems, it's not a traditional trill where the notes are right next to each other. I would love for someone who knows what they're talking about to demonstrate this. It seems like when I'm listening to the more traditional players, the trills are sometimes in two or three buttons apart? Plus the timing is not in a place that I expect it to trill. I know you have to have the feel for it, but I'd love to see someone at least sketch out a skeletal frame for the "cajun" feel that we could build our own style off of. Maybe there's already a video or a DVD that does this? I have Marc Savoy's vol 2 dvd (and I think wilson's dvd somewhere but can't find it at the moment) where they slow down his playing and the ornamentation that marc does is more complex than I can really grasp.

Big Nicks Dvds get into trills

Dirk Powell's dvd's get into trills also..

Also. I was going to explain but much easier to check out wikepedia when there type in Trills. Look for the one that has (Music) .. looks like Trills (music) lengthy explanation.

You also might want to go here and check out this Youtube vid..

Its called Piano Techniques: How to Play Trills on the Piano? - Practicing Trills he is a bit long winded but thorough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4nN-Bc9YA

Our boxes are part piano .. Sort of.. anyway.. The video applies big time for what your asking.

Johnnie

Thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated. I will look into all the options.

Steve Riley's beginning CA Dvd also covers trills. I like the way he breaks them down.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!