Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early Cajun Music: "The Pee Wee Special" - Pee Wee Broussard

Another accordionist that helped usher in the "dancehall era" was Chester Isaac "Pee Wee" Broussard. In 1952, Ned Guilbeau, a DJ on a New Iberia radio station, arranged Pee Wee's first session at J.D. Miller's studio at the old M&S Electrical Shop on North Parkerson Street in Crowley, as he liked Pee Wee's playing. There, he recorded two sessions, one which produced the song "The Pee Wee Special" (#1045) on Feature records.

Read more: http://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-pee-wee-special-pee-wee-broussard.html

Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhFNKk9lJM

Re: Early Cajun Music: "The Pee Wee Special" - Pee Wee Broussard

Thanks for this tune, I've never heard it before. I met PeeWee when he came to Seattle
for a week at FiddleTunes camp. He was there to play fiddle with Aldus Roget. I didn't get to hear him play accordion that week since, he said, "Aldus hired me to play the fiddle"!
I did run into him in Louisiana later and got to hear his accordion playing. What a character!

Hey John, do you know of anyone that was there that week that might have video recorded them playing together? That would be a sight to see!

John D

Yes, it was. As you may know PeeWee's brother cut some tendons in Peewee's left middle finger playing around with a knife when they were kids. Of course it was never repaired and was always raised in a salute while he fingered his fiddle with his other fingers. Said that his finger had gotten him into a lot of fights. But I'm afraid I don't have any photos.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!