Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Song of the month for September 2015

The Sterling is a chore on some songs, leaky and not terribly responsive. Good training tool.

What, may I ask, is the toot-toot-toot A part?

It's the part that starts with a short pickup then "toot-toot-toot." (3 consectutive quarter notes)

Not to be confused with "Chere Tout Tout" or Rockin' Sidney's "Don't Mess with My Toot-Toot", both of which are sans tout la toots.

Thanks Bryan - I was afraid to ask.

Wow. this one has gotten a good response. Great job Ned, Christophe, and Bryan. I'm nearly ready to record this one. House hunting has been taking up the time right now though.

Is it just me or does this song and the Poullard Special seem to be closely related?

John in Oregon

Just you.

I agree John A. Port Arthur Blues has that 6-9 roll that Chris Miller taught us for the Poullard Special. Listen to Marc's version again and it's in there.
Gene

Ah good. Someone else saw that.

John in Oregon

John - yes indeed musically similar in places, specifically intro and first measure and this repeats half way through the A-part. However, the phrasing and rhythm separates the tunes to end any conclusion of similarity. What Mr. Ned said.

Thanks for these interesting comments here.

I noticed as a beginner that when two songs have similar chords and moves,
my fingers take the easiest shortcut that is to say what you already learned
in the previous song, and I learned only 05-06 tunes although not mastered at present.

That makes me sound always the same way especially for grace notes.

I try to pay attention to build another way of playing each new tune I'm working on like this one, or everything sound the same garbage.

The videos and comments uploaded here are a great help !!

thank to all

christophe

PS :
Mr Guy , what are the books Don Fish talked about ?
Would be interested to know more about them

thanks.
christophe

I've always thought of Poullard Special and Port Arthur as being similar. I think it's mostly because I use similar licks. Here's a medley of the two tunes with 2 times through on Port Arthur, one time on Poullard, and one more on Port Arthur. in C

Dang, John, I'm going back to the drawing board after watching yours. Beaucoup bien faite.

Hi John,
I enjoyed a lot !
the way you play these songs make a very nice medley

christophe

Thanks, John. This clearly demonstrates the similarity that had preveiously eluded me. Good playing, too!

John - I played along with you on both tunes and we're there almost note for note. So then I played the Poullard to your Port Arthur. Then they don't sound the same. Other than the intro and first measure, which can be made the same if you like, the tunes have the exact same number of measures in both parts, they both finish on the same chords and they both use all the same notes! Cajun music - you gotta love it.

Yes I agree that the two melodies are definitely different. I guess it's just that the chords and form are the same and they have the same intro phrase. I just know that I have to space them apart a bit in a set list otherwise my fingers have a tendency to accidentally jump from one to the other.

Great choice John.
Here's mine, nothing Savoyesque- just messed around on the melody.
Have been listening to the Jo El version.

Hi AJ,
Only messing around ?
You found something very nice and original,
especially the second part after 1mn40 when your rendition complicates in between the melody line.

Christophe

I like the way the song develops from a rather muddled start to a rather articulate finale. Once again, your driving rhythm is enviable. Good work, AJ.

Thanks Christophe and Ned, I enjoyed both yours and appreciate the technical approach, usually beyond me. Sometimes I just like to go with the feel, especially on a fiddle tune and maybe try to copy some of the fiddle phrases- takes me a while to get warmed up. C'est fun!

AJ - lovely English dance tune, if you know what I mean.

No not really cus all I've ever tried to play is cajun style and not by numbers from a book.
Quite like morris tunes but could'nt even whistle one, would maybe have a go if I had the time, especially the northern and scottish borders stuff.
This wouldn't be the first time you've pulled up a limey for indulging in flowery hanky waving english playing. Well nice try Gruesome.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!