Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tune is Key of G.. How do I know which Box.. C box or G box.. Is there a way to tell ???

I’m sure that more experienced players will identify certain playing patterns, etc. But here are a few points based on the instrument itself. This assumes that you are talking about a single-row Cajun box.

First, G boxes are not very common in Cajun music. C is by far the most common key, I think followed by D. So most of the time that you hear a tune in G it’s going to be on a C box.

You can listen to the bass notes and chords from the left hand side of the box. A C box will have a C bass note and chord and a G bass note and chord. A G box will have a G bass note and chord and a D bass note and chord. So if you hear C and G bass notes and chords, it is a C box. If you hear G and D bass notes and chords, it is a G box.

You can also listen to the notes from the right hand side of the box. A C box has the notes of the C major scale. A G box has the notes of the G major scale. The difference between those two scales is the F note. On a C box the F is natural. On a G box the F is sharp. So if you hear an F natural out of the right hand side, it’s a C box. If you hear an F sharp out of the right hand side, it’s a G box.

Re: Tune is Key of G.. How do I know which Box.. C box or G box.. Is there a way to tell ???

If it's a Cajun tune, it's most likely payed in G (2nd position, or pull song) on a C box. If you can sort out the 7th (F, in this case) and it is one tone flat, it's a C box, otherwise the 7th is natural (one semitone flat), thus a G box (playing push).

Bet your money on C box playing a pull song.

Or, if the last note you play of the tune on the treble side is a G or any combination with a G then its in G, like an octave G chord. If its octave C or C/E then that's C you are playing in.

Hi Folks

Thanks for the info.. Much appreciated..

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!