Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Practice time.

So I work a lot of hours. I only have a couple days a week to practice. I been playing about a month. And I think I'm doing ok. Anyway I'm trying that decide if I should continue playing or if a couple days is not enough practice? All replies welcome please. Thanks

Chauvin

Re: Practice time.

Corey, if you're doing OK, you've answered your own question. A couple of days is good, but more is better. However, if you could only sneak in afew minutes on an "off" day just to play something that you are comfortable with, then you will develop more "feel" and your fingers will find their targets more easily.

Nobody is counting. You've got the rest of your life to learn. There is no schedule or timetable. Relax and enjoy, the rewards will come.

Thanks very much nedro. I will adapt and find ways to make time. A lot of times I dl that. I have enough time to sit down a few min and hit a few keys. Other times I have a couple hours to learn a few notes by ear. Which is what I'm working on. Thanks for the advice and support. Oh I attended another vermillionville session today on guitar. Always a great time. The talent getting younger and younger. The session leader on accordion today was 18 years old. Oh and one more thing nedro I did order Steve Riley video. Hasn't come in yet.

I think with even 15 minutes a day you can move the ball forward. Especially if you do longer practice sessions on your days off, to sort of anchor your learning. That's what I tend to do. Once or twice a week I sit down and really dig deep into learning something new. I may not be able to play it up to speed but I know it. Then the rest of the week I chip away at it a few minutes here and there. Don't give up!

A few practice tips that helped me:

- better to play regularly for a short time (like 20 minutes a day, or even better: twice 20 minutes a day) than occasionally for hours on end.
- set yourself a goal and work towards it.
- beware: don't practice your own mistakes. Before you learn something, make sure you have it right.
- record yourself and try to find out what's right and what's wrong
- try to practice slowly, but regularly. Use a rhythm device.
- make sure you know the melody line (i.e. be able to sing it) before you start playing it.

Yea I sat and talked lee Benoit the other night he basically said the same thing.

Yea that's what I basically do. Good to hear that word for someone else too. Thanks for the advice man.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!