Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beginner looking for an accordion

Pretty sure I posted here before but I can't find it.

Anyway, I actually got the ok fro my wife to get an accordion. So, I'm looking for a base type model, nothing fancy with the wood or anything. From what I have learned, sounds like a "C" box is the most common, so that would be my choice. Another option would be a used one in good condition.

I've never played one before and I have no idea if I will ever make anything sound decent but I've always wanted one.

Any help will be appreciated.....

Thanks

Re: Beginner looking for an accordion

Don't know where you live but you might check pawn shops in your area for used Cajun accordions. I know Lafayette has many in there pawn shops.

Be careful with pawn shop accordions Martin recently told me a guy brought one in from a pawn shop and it rattled when they shook it.

I bought an ariette from Martin that they replaced some of the parts inside and out. Made it a better accordion for beginner but still affordable. Martin also has several used ones of theirs. I say go to Martin they'll fix you up or tell you where to go.

Probably the best thing to do is order a set of Hohner HA-114 reeds from Hohner USA. When you get them, send them to a Louisiana accordion builder of your choice and have them install them awesome reeds into one of their new or 2nd hand accordions (light weight accordions are best). HA-114's come pretuned in the wax paper. Have the accordion builder tune the third row of reeds wet and have them install their own brand of bass side reeds properly tuned to match the HA-114's. Then they can recheck the tuning of all the reeds just to be sure. Then you will have a wet and dry tuned accordion by only pressing down or lifting one stopper. Its the best of all worlds. Oh, and go with the key of "C" of course as HA-114 reeds only come in the key of "C". All this provided that Hohner USA still sells HA-114 reeds by themselves. I hope I havent boggled your mind, but if you go and try to buy an accordion, chances are you will not get the one you want on the first try either because of the looks, or the sound will not suite your taste. Most likely the touch of the accordion will not suite you either. It will be to heavy, too sluggish, button speed will be incorrect, etc.

If you ever play a gabernelli "Cajun King" accordion, I'm sure the weight and button speed will please you, but gabernelli's have to be retuned Cajun style by an actual Cajun accordion builder or someone who knows what they are doing that might not live in Louisiana but they were once Cajun. Always get the pearl flat top buttons! Never get those chromed out round top buttons. To put it simply, they suck and they slip with all that finger grease you'll be generating from rubbing your greasy forehead as you contemplate the difficulty of learning to play the accordion. Oh, and also, put aside about 20-50 years before you show anyone how you can play. Keep it a secret because all beginners.....don't sound too good and the only one's that will say you sound great or usually very close relatives.

Or, you could just get in touch with any accordion builder on this brave net page.

My "Blathorometer 9000" just went off the scale. What a load of rubbish.

I fail to understand why you continually set folks on a path to nowhere.

Again, I suggest you go over to melodeon.net and see how long your grandstanding self absorbed BS will last over there.

Check your email

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!