Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sterling on Ebay

"Funny how your post got 30 views, but no comments. Why so hush hush everybody?...The Guy"
I tried looking for it on ebay when this thread started and couldn't find the listing. I found it this evening. I was just viewing the pictures of the ebay sterling and looking closely at the graphics on the treble board. They look suspicious to me. Compare the name Sterling and the corner "swirllies" with pictures of other sterlings. The ebay one looks different. I have a Globe gold medal accordion from the same era and made at the same factory. I got it out and looked at the graphics. On mine, they are embossed into the wood, the ones on the ebay sterling look like they are just painted on. Also the lines are thinner than mine are. The one pictures also had non original bellows and locks, but the flappers and rods and keyboard look original.

The faceplate and reedblocks were built by Elton "Balloon" Quibodeaux, also known for having built Teche brand accordions. Elton did this to a handful of Sterlings, Monarchs, and Eagle Brands. I know that because I own the one Balloon built for Reggie Matte. Reggie told me that the main reason Elton did this for a few people was because he was convinced that by putting in a new set of maple reed blocks and replacing the original one piece faceplate with a plywood one it would make the accordion more air tight and responsive.

What's really interesting to me is that the bass box, fingerboard, and corners were made by Marc Savoy. The flapper rods are original to a Sterling/Monarch and about 90% of the reeds inside are blue steel and probably belonged to the same Sterling the that the rods came off of.

I'm not trying to detract from the history of the box. I don't doubt at all that it was indeed owned by Purvis, I'm just trying to let people know that it's not an actual all original Sterling.

John

Elton Quibodeaux?!!!! That was the same man that introduced me to Louisiana Made Accordions with Hohner reeds in them. Match made in heaven. You could say I knew him pretty well. Good Man. Deceased now.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!