Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
accordion buying trip

Hi, I am going to visit my sister in Baton Rouge next week. I have been saving my gig money and I have enough to go accordion hunting while I am there. I have been playing for about three years and I have outgrown my Landry accordion. My preference is to try before I buy. I have to hear it and feel how it plays if I am going to spend that much money. I figure I will try the Lafayette area, because I will only have one day for this activity. Does it make sense to visit Junior Martin and the Savoy Music Center, plus check out whatever used ones I can find on Craigslist? The two I have been seeing on CL recently are an Acadiana and a Bon Cajun that Larry Miller is selling. Does this make sense? Can anyone think of anything I should try while I am there?

Re: accordion buying trip

I have new accordions for $1,600.00 . You can try them before you buy. You can go to my facebook and see some of my accordions being played go to John Doucet I am the guy with the cap on I live in the Richard community out of Church Point la. I have been making them for 48 years. You can call me at 337-684-6495 or e-mail at jedoucet@netzero.net

I would also send you to John Doucet before you settle on a Martin or an Acadian.

Straight up boxes built by the man who makes parts for other "builders".

M A R T I N M A R T I N Need I say more check out Jr Martin you will be very pleased. Then go visit that other dude and come back to Martin and buy that box you cannot go wrong with a M A R T I N

Martin the King of Butt Joints.

"ACADIANA" or Acadian ?

I think he does mean "Acadiana" (made by Leland Colligan), a couple of which have shown up on Craigslist in recent months (see link).

Just a brief update. Thanks for all the responses. Last Friday I visited Jr Martin, John Doucet, and Marc Savoy. I was lucky enough to spend some time with each of them and play their boxes. I never got in touch with the guy selling the Acadiana (NOT Acadian) but he was in the 985 area code so didn't fit with the rest of my trip. I dropped off my Landry with Jr for more repairs. Af the last stop with Marc, after I tried one of his, I decided his is the one for me. He promised it by April/May so I will let y'all know when I get it.

It is always good to make a decision.

Dicision: An irrevocable course of action.

Hope it works out for you.

You did good Sam.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!