Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bon Cajun in the UK

I used to be a regular visitor to this forum but haven't visited for maybe 9 years due to a musical change in direction.

Just before changing direction, as Larry Miller was about to retire, I purchased a new C accordion from him. I'm guessing this was around 2006.

At the time I already had a Martin C so the Bon Cajun never got much playing, as I was thinking I'd use it in the future when I retired the Martin. In total I guess it's got no more than 10 hours usage. So, to all intents and purposes, it's as new.

As I'm so out of touch I wondered if someone could give a me a steer on value, and, also if there's anyone in the UK who wants a truly beautiful instrument it could be available.

Thanks

Phil

Re: Bon Cajun in the UK

My opinion and MY opinion only.

Miller was one of the "big three" manufacturers. His output was far beyond that of most makers. He vied with Savoy and Martin for "numbers"

MY opinion and MY opinion only.. Miller boxes were "workmanlike" and nothing distinctive.

I know other makers that dealt with Miller with less than positive results, and I had one dealing with him. Once was enough.

Value.. in excellent plus condition.."on the street" perhaps $1500-1600 US, though I would not pay that. There are much better boxes. The Miller is an "also ran".

Again, my opinion and my opinion only.

Basis for my remarks, I have owned well over 50 accordeons including a few "Cajun" made and Quebec made and Italian single row custom made for me.

Add to that, I have disassembled every accordeon I have owned and scrutinized the works. ..
I have also , with permission of the owner, looked inside a Miller box..
NOT number 1 Bincis as one might expect given the usual Cajun standard.

What characterizes any manufactured goods:
Design
Materials
Workmanship

There is no "excellence" in a Miller box..
They are workmanlike.

My opinion and my opinion only.

Gee Peter, ease off there. This forum can be accepting of opinions. My opinion of the Miller output is the same as yours.

"ease off"
Why, facts are facts.. even if they are politically disguised.

There is absolutely nothing "special" about a Miller box.

IMNSHO The "top three" are like Ford, Chevy and Chrysler.

The OP wanted an opinion.

Others either have no experience, or in one case I know they have had a Miller experience and won't post, or they have limited experience or they don't want to offend the OP or, they think that a Miller box is as good as an Acadian or a Martin.. here they might be right.

Re: Bon Cajun in the UK, or Which Boxes are "Special" and Why?

Peter Gunn
There is absolutely nothing "special" about a Miller box.

IMNSHO The "top three" are like Ford, Chevy and Chrysler.

Others either have no experience, or in one case I know they have had a Miller experience and won't post, or they have limited experience or they don't want to offend the OP or, they think that a Miller box is as good as an Acadian or a Martin.. here they might be right.

Posts like this one always make me curious.

If the "name" brand boxes (Martin, Acadian, Falcon, Miller) are not "special," which boxes are special, and what is it that makes them special? Choice of woods and/or other materials? Carpentry? Tone quality? Playability (e.g., responsiveness)? Technology? Consistent quality?

Or by "nothing 'special,'" do you mean simply that there is nothing with respect to any of those above attributes that would justify a $500-$1,000 price premium for an Acadian, a Martin, a Falcon or a Bon Cajun over a L'Anse Grise, a Heritage, a Bon Temps, or a Cajun/Doucet?

Not challenging you here, just curious. There certainly have been periods (e.g., the 70s) when the big name guitar brands like Gibson, Fender, and Martin were putting out crap, and smaller boutique luthiers produced much finer instruments. One difference vs. cajun boxes, however, is that those boutique guitars and mandolins typically sold at a premium to the name brands, not a discount.

Bassman.... possibly the most insightful, intelligent, response I have seen in umpteen years of posting on the C Box Forum, ..

I am so taken aback with your response it will take me a moment to regroup...

Hi Phil,
do you still have it?
I'm interested and not far away on the Yorks coast.

"Special"

Design
Materials
Workmanship

Special boxes do not have butt joints or other time and cost cutting procedures
Special boxes use premium materials.
Special boxes are made entirely by the person whose name is on the box
or the only person in the shop.
Special boxes have details unique to the maker
Special attentiojn... to the product and to the customer.

I did not say other boxes beside Miller were not "special" ( though you may be right.)

Would I pay a "premium" for a production box.. no.

Let me suggest that Italy's average is someone elses special.

I buy Castagnaris and older German made Hohners and have owned a few custom "made for me" boxes, including Quebec, Italian Cajun made. ( they do not all come from La. )

Compare a Castagnari with the best of other maker's one rows....

This is likened to.. would I buy a new $50 K Chevy pickup or a Toyota Tundra for the same money. This would be absurd. I pay for quality and value.

One look inside a Castagnari.. one minute play time.. that is all it takes.
About the same price as most Cajun made boxes.

If I wanted a Cajun box ( made by a Cajun) I would buy from John, Bryan or Jude.

If I wanted a one row made by non- Cajun "others".. Castagnari, Clement Breton, Eric Martin, Rees Wesson, Messervier, Van der AA.. Van Der Leeuw and some others. First on my list would have been Gaillard but he stopped making one rows about 10 years ago.. None better. I blew it...got sick ran out of money.. that has changed but he's not making single row. If Briggs was making one rows I'd order from him. His 2 reed 2 rows start at $5800 USD and go up from there. 8 year waiting list last I checked.

One note on Castagnari.. they do not make "Cajun" boxes nor do they tune "Cajun" style.

These are my opinions based on fact and experience.

Butt joints and the usual aluminum stamped out corners.. I don't bother a second look or pick one up to play it.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!