Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Claude Luneau

Claude hasn't been around for a few years but was once a principal character here.

He is an accordeon player from Canada and a long time professional artist..
French born, and formerly a French Marine. He emigrated to Canada about 20 years ago.

In another life he was a first class cabinet maker and built fixtures and displays for museums. He is also a very famous Canadian artist with many exhibits and awards and on the register of Canadian National Treasures.

You may recall he and I were vocal about the use of weak, unsightly, lazy, expeditious butt joints on accordeon frames.. no excuse. He ordered a box from one of the top three and returned it with a critique on how to properly build a box. Did not help, still being made the same amateurish way.

I spoke with Claude this morning.. in his 80s doing well and recently bought another one row in C. His choice, and mine, a Castagnari direct from the maker in Castelfidardo, Italy. Finest quality design, materials and workmanship. About 25% less than a famous maker La. box.

He is also playing a Hohner Extreme N III in GCF.

He still plays a bit of Cajun, Zydeco and French Musette as well as Quebequois.

He says hi to all the braves.

Re: Claude Luneau

Thanks for the update about Claude. I kinda miss the old guy.

I bought one of those Castagnari single row boxes last year. I agree with you that they are the best. On mine, the tuning is WAY too wet - but that's the way the original owner ordered it. I will have to get that adjusted at some point. One thing that takes getting used to is that the air button is in an awkward position. You can't operate it with the butt of your palm as you can on other single row accordions. Instead you have to extend your thumb upward a couple inches to reach it.

-David

David (and only David since I already know exactly how Claude and his disciple feel about Cajun boxes): what is it about the Castagnari that you find better than the Cajun boxes you've played? Reed response? Air consumption? Volume? Fingerboard action?

John

The video link is Brendan Begley of Ireland playing his Castagnari One row.
It is about 20 years old, hammered by constant use, he added a fingerboard extension because he has very long fingers...used on at least one CD which I have... he plays one row most of the time and two row C#/D.

Interesting play for sure. The left hand is almost never used. When it is used the gentleman, he just hold the buttons down. I think the accordion would sound much better with butt joints.

Perhaps I'll post another of him playing on a one row and another with C#/D..

BTW he's about 6 ft 4 in. and has huge hands... the box I smaller than the typical Cajun made box.

The Jewell on the Button Box site is most definitely the Pointe Noir if you are looking for a classic Cajun made box. It would not matter that Dick Richard used, or did not use, butt joints.. there's magic in his accordeons.

Years ago I ordered a box from him and shortly thereafter his wife dies so we put it off for a while.

I reordered and.. he died.

Moral, don't let me order a box from you : ).

Mine was about 15 cents in the middle of the board.

It is at the Button Box getting tamed to about 5 cents. Just enough to hear that it is an accordion and not a concertina.

There is nothing better for the price than a Castagnari melodeon.

The button box has one new and one used in the key of D.

I sold Claude my Castagnari in C.. he sold it backl to me. Regretted it and ordered a new one in C direct from Castgnari.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!