Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going Back To The Roots

I figured you were from the Cajun Corridor or close to it. Don't stop listening friend. It will keep you sane in an insane world. I figure as we progress, people will begin to see that some of the old ways were the right ways and will gravitate back to these good old evolutions. I believe the music will be one of those things as it has already shown itself to be in some cases. As Cajuns, we're way ahead of the game, or at least we have a good start on preserving these old ways. As long as we don't let it get commercialized.. You know, start getting greedy for the money that folks will pay to participate in our culture. You know, making festivals because we can make lots of money, or jacking up the price of Louisiana Made Cajun instruments to the point of discouraging local musicians from wanting to pay for them. Because when that happens, the good product turns into an expensive item that betrays both the buyer and the seller in that it becomes impractical and a dirty thing. And as always, we can't let the Cajun culture keep getting watered down by all kinds of Johnnys Come Lately trying to adopt our culture for purposes of making money or showing themselves off by using it as a parasite might do. If that happens, then we just become like every place else and not too special. You agree? They already halfway killed Cajun Culture by force feeding us English without much choice back when they beat our parents or grandparents if they spoke a single word of Cajun French in the classroom. That, my friend, was a certified unnatural invasion on our rights as Cajun Americans. We would have learned engrish eventually, but it would be our second language. NOT OUR FIRST. Hope I didn't lay it down too thick Mr Guidry, but I get pretty passionate about our heritage and culture after having seen it become much less than it used to be.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!