Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bellows Air Control.. How To.. ??

Hey Johnnie, Jude gave a good explanation. The part saying that he keeps the air control button cracked open through the whole song is what you should pay special attention to. The grip that your left hand has on the left block will be determined by the size of the block and the tightness or looseness of your base side hand strap. It will be different when you grab a different accordion in a lot of cases. I play with the air control button pushed in ever so slightly according to my grip. When I need to make up for bellow space getting too close to full closed that I might lose the song, the next time I pull on a series of notes, I will press the air control in all the way and try to open the bellows back to a distance that will be enough to finish the song when I start to push again. This usually happens when playing on the "push" or better yet playing in the key of "C" on a C accordion. When you play in the key of "C" or in the push, you always want to start the song with a little extra bellows open so you don't run yourself out of air by prematurely closing the bellows all the way whilst doing the song. This will take time, but it will come to you to a point where you won't have to think about it much at all. And for god sakes keep your two middle fingers still and well gripped on that base side block. You don't want to have those two fingers dancing around (to make you look like a novice). Their job is to hold and grip, you're not playing music with them nor trying to tell people HELLO with them. ***Now the paddles on a HA-114 are a little different in feel. When I play on a HA-114 personally, I don't use the air control paddle much unless my hand pushes it in naturally without me realizing it. I don't like those paddles on the 114's. They should be extended buttons and not paddles. I wish Hohner would get that through their heads. After all this time, you'd think they would have figured that out.

Hi

Thanks Jude and RJ... Yes this is a lot of help.. I see where the shock absorber idea comes in .. I guess if one plays really loud or hard good chance of breaking a reed. I learned that playing blues harps.. Lol.. Stretch to far and 'ping' there goes a reed. So be similar with this box.

Just wondering while I am here.

I put a Danny Dyson Bass Padded strap on my 114.. I am wondering however Just how snug it should be. I was told forget who to have it snug with my hand through the strap and bent as if playing at the knuckles...

Can that be right or no ??

Thanks so much for the tips.. I will be at it again !!

Johnnie

I held both of my accordions to make sure. The base side strap shouldn't be so tight that you have to shove and manipulate your left hand into it. It should just slide in and let your fingers reach the two base and chord buttons on the front side. It should also be nice and padded with the softer leather lining on the inside. The hard outer leather is for keeping the shape and to prevent stretch out. The pinky and pointer fingers should "not" sit flat on the base/chord buttons in the front, but set on them at a 45 angle at the center of finger tips mid distance from the fingertip to the first knuckle crease line . At the same time, that fat padded part under your thumb should rest on the back air control button about 3/4" to 1" below your (first) big thumb joint. But this is for an accordion with buttons and not paddles. I can also see that my left hand (punching knuckles) line up with the back edge of the hand strap. Like they're just starting to go inside the strap, but not quite covered by the strap completely. My strap is even stretched and shaped on the rear edge to accept that row of knuckles. The straps didn't come like this. They shaped over time. Well the soft padded leather shaped like this.
The size of the block is also a determining factor of your grip. I don't think the HA-114's have fat blocks, but I could be wrong. They are probably made smaller than the standard Cajun accordion, or match the size of smaller Cajun base blocks. Just remember those two "middle grip" fingers should remain still and gripping the front of the block. Very important. You should almost be able to play without the strap with that correct grip. The strap should be there to help you hold onto the accordion, not make you to hold onto the accordion in my opinion. Sure is hard to explain something that you never think about. When trying an accordion, you should choose one that feels nice on the base side. Not only that, it should feel and function in such a way that your playing base side is easy and not a struggle. You're going to be putting a lot of miles on that accordion, so you want it fitting right! Otherwise you'll give your hand a hemroid or something. LOL..

Hi
Thanks again.

I have tried the finger tip method and it just doesn not work for me. The top of the paddles are not flat. Tips just slide off. I have my fingers pretty as they fall when I put my hand through the strap.. I use the index finger and small finger.. When I start to tire I notice its the small and ring finger working.. But I have so much more control..

I looked all over internet and also youtube.. I found a video by Per van der Burgh and you can see his left hand. Thats more or less what I find the best for me. So far anyway..

here is the vid and thanks again

Johnnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYjY9jNza00

Johnny, I'll give it a try. See if this makes any since to you:
in the course of playing a tune, you will have a run of pushing notes followed by a run of pulling notes. If you had a guitar accompanying you, this change of bellow direction would dictate a chord change on the guitar. The air button is used to "recover" to a desired bellow position. In other words, you set yourself up for the next "run". Using the Love Bridge Waltz as an example, the first run of notes is pulling. the next run is pushing. So, on the last few pulling notes of the first run, open the air button to recover the bellow to a more open position,and let off at the beginning of the pushing run. I always felt like it was more important to know when to let off, rather than when to open the air valve. Facts is, I probably play with it "cracked open" through the whole tune and only fully open it and let off of it at key times. If you haven't been explained this before, that air valve is a "shock suppressor" for the reeds. It takes a lot of the shock off when playing a "loud" note, if that makes since to you. It takes just a little while to develop the feel of using the air button, but once you get it, it will come natural to you. It's just like singing. You have to know when to catch a breath in between lines.
Hope this helps.
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!