Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bellows Air Control.. How To.. ??

Hi
Thanks again.

I have tried the finger tip method and it just doesn not work for me. The top of the paddles are not flat. Tips just slide off. I have my fingers pretty as they fall when I put my hand through the strap.. I use the index finger and small finger.. When I start to tire I notice its the small and ring finger working.. But I have so much more control..

I looked all over internet and also youtube.. I found a video by Per van der Burgh and you can see his left hand. Thats more or less what I find the best for me. So far anyway..

here is the vid and thanks again

Johnnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYjY9jNza00

Re: Bellows Air Control.. How To.. ??

Johnny, I'll give it a try. See if this makes any since to you:
in the course of playing a tune, you will have a run of pushing notes followed by a run of pulling notes. If you had a guitar accompanying you, this change of bellow direction would dictate a chord change on the guitar. The air button is used to "recover" to a desired bellow position. In other words, you set yourself up for the next "run". Using the Love Bridge Waltz as an example, the first run of notes is pulling. the next run is pushing. So, on the last few pulling notes of the first run, open the air button to recover the bellow to a more open position,and let off at the beginning of the pushing run. I always felt like it was more important to know when to let off, rather than when to open the air valve. Facts is, I probably play with it "cracked open" through the whole tune and only fully open it and let off of it at key times. If you haven't been explained this before, that air valve is a "shock suppressor" for the reeds. It takes a lot of the shock off when playing a "loud" note, if that makes since to you. It takes just a little while to develop the feel of using the air button, but once you get it, it will come natural to you. It's just like singing. You have to know when to catch a breath in between lines.
Hope this helps.
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!