Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Beginner 3 Row

Huh? OK, whatever.

You are welcome.. for information you assign to yourself as the origin, when in fact, it is not. It is general knowledge.
Now that you have decided to be a jerk.. these are the facts.
No matter what the origin of the "International" Hohners,
the Internationals are of sub-standard quality.

I was trying to be helpful and diplomatic.. It appears that did not work.

Once again demonstrating there are some folks who resent others who are better informed and have more experience.

The least you could do is be appreciative, and if not that, civil.
This animosity is not new to you.. it is historically a characteristic of your posts.

The new-age definition of "whatever" is F off, and everyone knows that.
It clearly demonstrates your level of maturity and added greatly to the discussion.

I would only suggest to others, if you are considering a Hohner two or three row, pass on the Internationals. The early ones were made in the GDR, German Democratic Republic, under communist Russian rule. The quality was comparative to Russian built accordeons; lowest level of quality.
They continued to make these in the same factory, and the same way, for a few years even though the wall came down in 1989. Hence, their low level of quality construction and materials. Avoid them.

Bauxologist
You are welcome.. for information you assign to yourself as the origin, when in fact, it is not. It is general knowledge.
Now that you have decided to be a jerk.. these are the facts.
No matter what the origin of the "International" Hohners,
the Internationals are of sub-standard quality.

I was trying to be helpful and diplomatic.. It appears that did not work.

Once again demonstrating there are some folks who resent others who are better informed and have more experience.

The least you could do is be appreciative, and if not that, civil.
This animosity is not new to you.. it is historically a characteristic of your posts.

The new-age definition of "whatever" is F off, and everyone knows that.
It clearly demonstrates your level of maturity and added greatly to the discussion.

I would only suggest to others, if you are considering a Hohner two or three row, pass on the Internationals. The early ones were made in the GDR, German Democratic Republic, under communist Russian rule. The quality was comparative to Russian built accordeons; lowest level of quality.
They continued to make these in the same factory, and the same way, for a few years even though the wall came down in 1989. Hence, their low level of quality construction and materials. Avoid them.

Whoa Nelley!

Dude, I have no idea what set you off like this. I think you have misunderstood my intent in a major way. I am not sure what I said that makes me a jerk. I am not sure why you think I resent you for your knowledge and experience. In way way was I unappreciative or uncivil? And animosity? What? Where?

As to the "whatever" comment, that was to S.Pam, who I had no reason to be suspect was an alias for Bauxalogist. I mean come on, really? Am I supposed to be a mind reader to just figure that out? The comment by unknown S.Pam, was a bit of a nonsequiter, thus my "huh?" I had no idea what was meant or by who. Besides which, I did not intend "whatever" as **** off. I know my intent, and you don't. Unless you are a mindreader.

And what animosity are you talking about? Historically characteristic of my posts? Huh? Which posts? When? Written to who? I don't have the slightest clue who you are.

As to the Hohner International, I said over and over and over again, that it was a lower cost, entry level accordion. I am quite clear on that point and I always have been. That's why I bought it in the first place.

I just don't see how you could think I have said anything that could remotely be construed as resentful, hostile, unappreciative or uncivil. I suppose this is the problem in written communications like email, or forum postings, where it is very easy for someone to read what you have said and imagine all kinds of negative things. That is clearly what you have done: your imagination has conjured up all sorts of intentions on my part that simply are not there. Only in your mind.

I am pretty sure that if you asked a dispassionate observer whether I said anything that would justify your outrage and accusations, they would say no. I think they'd be saying, "nope, don't see it, sorry".

I can only make a suggestion to you. It is this: when you read something, and there is no tone of voice or body language to provide context, and you find yourself reacting negatively, you might stop and ask yourself "Did this person mean what I think he means, or am I just imagining it?". Next step: do a reality check. Instead of reacting negatively by flaming someone who you believe has offended you, you might try asking the person "What did you mean by that? Did you mean by that what I think you mean by that?"

If you had done that little reality check first, rather than resorting to insults etc., I would have kindly informed you that, no, I did not mean anything the way you seem to have interpreted it and this little bit of unpleasantness you are feeling would have been avoided.

Oh, and one more thing...

I am fascinated by this statement of yours:

"Once again demonstrating there are some folks who resent others who are better informed and have more experience."

First, I have no resentment towards you for any reason, and I am having a very hard time understanding why you would say that I do. What is your evidence that I resent you?

Beyond that, I would be interested if you could explain how there is even any possibility for me to have resentment towards you because you are better informed and have more experience.

It's impossible for me to be resentful because I don't have any idea who you are. I have no idea what your knowledge and experience are. You have not provided any information that would establish whether you are in fact more knowledgeable and experienced. How I can I be resentful about something which you have not previously claimed to have, or demonstrated in any way that your claim is true?

In addition, you have no idea what my knowledge and experience are, for the simple reason that I have not claimed any. (Unless, of course, you can read minds). Knowing nothing of my knowledge and experience, you nevertheless claim that yours is superior! What is the basis for this conclusion on your part? Objection Your Honor! Assumes facts not in evidence!

You are engaged in a logical fallacy, or several logical fallacies. Or maybe you just took one too many grumpy pills today.

Re: Oh, and one more thing...

The word "delusion" pops in to my head.

Fact:

The International, no matter who made it is a sub par instrument and discontinued for good reason.

I have no clue who you are.. so any response is to some accordion guy.

And your posts are not without "attitude"

Let's meet and I'll buy you a beer or libation of your choice.
I have no doubt we have more in common that in opposition.

I am partial to Buelletts Rye.

Jeff Hildreth with a string of alias's as I am always one step ahead of the law.

i;d have a hard time, as a beginner, not getting a computer accordion
if only for the ease of key changes
you can follow records instantly by figuring out the key and switching

not sure about long term reliability though
same is true of old 'real' accordions too

wle

I (Vmat)originally posted this thread and thank all responses that have a helpful tone. Both Bauxologist and David have given me very good information--I am very green re diatonic accordions, but am very interested in Cajun/Zydeco/Creole music.

David responded first with very helpful information, and Bauxologist followed with additional good info. Thanks to both of you. I have been reading all responses and did not detect any negative tone from David. He has been a great help to me, and has treated a greenhorn like me with respect.

So on with the topic... This thread is additionally helpful because you both have tried to provide supplementary info. for the LACK of information that is included with Hohner accordions (and probably many others) that I feel should have been printed or plated on the instrument itself. It boggles my mind that a manufacturer or crafter who charges its customer such a high price for the item would not show pride in his/her workmanship without any mark or indication of the maker or year in which the expensive item was made. Why do so many Italian accordions include the "Made in Italy" mark? It seems that the sellers of these accordions show pride in the product being sold by including a photo of this mark. We assume that if it has that mark, it is a good product.

I just purchased an older used Hohner Ariette single row (C) Cajun style accordion on Ebay. I did not want to buy a new Hohner Ariette because my research showed high dissatisfaction for these China-made boxes. So I asked the seller how old it was and if she knew where it was made. I was told it was 25 years old and that it probably was not made in China back then. I have had it for a few weeks and although it does not have near the quality of a real Cajun product, I wanted to start somewhere with my limited funds, and I find it to be working fine and giving me motivation to play it more and more. Eventually, I hope to be interested in a reliable beginner 3-row, hence the reason for this thread. I'm also thinking that many other beginners like me will benefit from all of your input. Provenance for accordions--like many other vintage items--is difficult and so often subjective. Thanks for all relevant input.

You have been duped by my observation.

All Ariettes are made in China and none are 25 years old.

Makers mark their accordeons "made in Italy" because by law they must identify the source. The Italians stamp or emboss because they take pride in their efforts.

Contrarily, the "Made in China" boxes usually have a label. Easily removed.

Others may have not been negative to you. However, the information is questionable. ie the Hohner International is an inferior instrument and to be avoided.

May I recommend you visit melodeon.net for the most reliable information on diatonic accordeons. Also fewer "one uppers" and limited "attitude".

Thanks, Bauxologist. Good to have your input. Will accept and move forward till I gain enough minimum skill to graduate to a 3-row, maybe Panther/International, etc. Being a senior citizen, I don't know whether I will live long enough to develop skill to move to expensive (better) boxes.

If you keep your eyes open, I believe you may run across a German made Corona.

Define senior citizen ... I'll bet I am up there with you and I am still at it.

I called the Button Box for some guidance on the currently made 3 row entry level boxes...
Their opinion was there is no better value than the Hohner Panther in that price range.

If you have a chance call Doug Creighton at the Button Box , he's a straight shooter.

413-665-7793

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!