Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
“clacking” sound of the buttons

I’ve got a new question that I am curious about. When I press the buttons they make a clacking noise like they hit something inside the melody board. I’m not referring to the sound that the flapper makes when it closes, just the button when I push it down. Am I pushing too hard or not playing smoothly? Do I need to adapt a softer touch? Does anyone else experience this? I’m learning but once in a while I have questions I like to ask from experienced players and builders. Thanks.

Re: “clacking” sound of the buttons

don, I would suspect that the button is bottoming out inside the keyboard. does that seem like it might be the cause?

Hi Jude, thanks for replying. Yes, some (not all) of the buttons bottom out. All of the buttons seem to have quick response opening and closing the flappers. One more thing I did listen for last night was the flapper noise (I was listening for everything). When I let off on one button and pressed the next button note the closing flapper noise timed exactly with the next note I was pressing. Is flapper closing noise common?
Don

"Flapper closing noise" : well, it can't be totally eliminated. But it can be reduced. It has to do with the thickness of the felt and leather pad, and the spring tension. Thin felt/leather and stiff spring tension will result in a louder noise. Thicker felt/leather and lighter spring tension will lessen the noise. Another thing that can happen is, over time, the leather pad can get hard and dry, and this will result in the "noise". Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply Jude, I was away from the computer for 4 days, that’s why I haven’t acknowledged until now. I’ll check in to that about the flappers. It may still come down to the way I play, not very smooth. I’ve never played anyone else's accordion so maybe that could tell me a lot about my own. I do appreciate your help.

Don

Is this a Hohner ?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!