Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hack a tit Moreau "Edius Nacquin"

Hey Randy my brother. I sense some deep seated passion in your comment above. Aggrevation also. I've seen what you speak of at a jam session also. The only jam session I ever attended was at Savoy's Music Center. I went pretty regular for a while and I never went back. The older accordion players usually started the jam. If someone younger showed interest in playing accordion, they usually were let in to play toward the last hour. Problem with beginners is that they think they're good often times when they are actually mediocre and lack tons of knowledge about the music and the songs and the process of playing with other musicians. Yeah, they can bring a smile to people's faces, but for how long or for how many songs? Jams tend to be nice at first, but.....hard to sustain and they cause some deep seated hate at other times as in your case. LOL, no problem, don't go to them. The only jam sessions some of these Louisiana Masters ever attended was at a supper where a meal was cooked and fellow musicians were invited to play, and there sure wasn't 4 or 5 accordionist and 20-30 fiddles. LMAO @ 20-30 fiddles.

During a CD release party, I saw Anya Burgess sing and play "Hack à Moreau" at the Blue Moon using Edius Naquin's fiddle on loan from Kevin Naquin. She, of course, explained the origins of the song. The CD cover has a note thanking Kevin for allowing her to use the fiddle on the recording.

Nice version of Edius' song. He was our neighbor in old L'anse Grise. They seem to have removed comments.

I am able to still read the post. Here, I will copy and paste for you.
There are two post.

Greezy McGill Hack a tit Moreau" Edius Naquin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0GfaFP5wQ (original Edius version)

Greezy McGill --Hey Kristi and Anya! I would love to see that when ever a Cajun musician performs a song taken from a Master of the past, that the Master is acknowledged as the inspiration for the modern artist's performance. It would be as simple as saying a few words before the song begins. Maybe even a short commentary on the songs history while the recording is "ON". Kristi, don't you work at UL with the archives? Maybe the archives department can start requesting of visiting "would be" local musicians that they follow suit whenever they re-record a song from our Cajun past. That way, the actual Master will get credit and the "would be" newer musician wouldn't be hogging all the glory to his or herself. Case in point......Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys. Came out of no where and wowed the local Cajuns some years back with all these old "re-made" songs all taken from musicians of the past. They may have listed the old musicians in their CD credits, but it didn't come off as such. They took the glory and denied the listening "ignorant new generation" public of the true history of their remakes. Maybe this practice I'm talking about will create "Modern Day Honest Heroes of Cajun Music" by them showing respect to the "Actual Heroes of the Past". Hope I didn't open up a can of worms with this comment, but it's about time somebody said something! We must set the example for our own people and all of these new comers from far away places that love our Cajun music. It shouldn't be about who can play it the best, or making money off of it, or who can travel to the most foreign countries as a Cajun musician. It should be about our Heritage, and we need to "KEEP IT REAL"!

I'm sure the "Masters" wouldn't care.

Is that your short answer Tbrode? Very fillysofical of you. In fact, I know they wouldn't care. They're dead. It's for us to care. Didn't you think on this a little before you commented? My god man! Put your heart into it a little more.

Here's on for you to contemplate over Tbrode. Imagine you are Aldus Roger. Been playing the accordion all your life. You don't sing, you just play the accordion and you tend to keep quiet, but you really believe in your accordion playing. Someone finally talks you in to going compete at a local accordion contest. With hesitation, you decide to go and try it out. When you get there all fired up and sure of yourself that you you just might win the thing, you see that Iry Lejeune has signed up and is one of your competitors. After the contest, you are told by people that Iry has beaten you! I wonder if Aldus Roger cared just a little bit about that. I mean, he was one of the most stone faced players there was. Showed no emotion what so ever. But they say he was very upset about the defeat. He lost to Iry Lejeune! I would have been proud to lose to Iry Lejeune. Aldus took it to the grave brother. Even in his later years toward the end, some other accordion players his age were trying to outdo him and beat him at the jam sessions which I personally witnessed. Yeah, I think every accordion player cares how his performance is perceived by others. I think every accordion player doesn't care to see another player with an advantage that he himself should also have. In Cajun country, there is a fierce competition amongst accordion players on who is the beyyyyssssst, and in runs deep in their souls, even though no one wants to talk about it. But it is there. No one is born with an accordion in their hands, and it doesn't come natural to any player. It is something you have to work at and work at very hard and for a very long time to do it right. Yeah, I would think there is and always has been some "care" involved. But now we need to take it to the next level. That we as accordion and fiddle players start caring about how the Cajun music is learned,understood, presented, and shared. We cannot let it become a cheap competition on who's the beyyyyysssst and who can put out more CD's. That would make us more like rap singers.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!