Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HA-114 Treble springs adjust with Butter Knife or ?

Bryan Lafleur
I've adjusted them in place by using needle nose pliers to ever so slightly make a bend in the wire arm. Bending a wire arm toward the other will soften the tension, bending away from each other gives more tension.

I have also done this, but I use bending pliers, which are similar to needle nose except that the jaws are tapered and cylindrical in cross section. The rounded jaws prevent the possibilty of nicking the wire, which can cause "stress risers" which can result in the spring breaking later at the nick. I also use these pliers to form new custom springs from music wire. I have made little bending fork tools to modify springs in place when there isn't enought room to use the bending pliers. I sometimes post info and photos of my repair jobs on melnet. You could search there for more details.

Hohner makes diatonic accordion springs in three degrees of stiffness. The Corona model, for example, uses light, medium & heavy gauge springs respectively, for each of its 3 rows. The HA-114 uses the heavy gauge (approx .025" dia.) springs since it has fairly long & heavy pallet valves. I've found that substituting the light gauge (approx .022" dia.) springs works fine & improves the action considerably. I used to order the springs directly from Hohner (part #TA20151), but I have been winding my own replacement springs from #9 gauge (.022" dia.) music wire with considerable success for some while.

here is the url for the Article I mentioned back there about spring bend..

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9862.msg122091.html#msg122091

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!